Chapter 2

The sleep I had wasn't the greatest seeing as I wasn't use to my new bed just yet. Well that and because I was away from my parents for the first time in my life. It was strange not waking up to the smell of pancakes with scorpion venom syrup, or my dad gently knocking on the door to get me out of bed.

Since sleeping in wasn't an option it was decided that I got ready for the day. It looked like a nice warm day so I opted for a pink dragon skin dress paired with some rose gold sandals. I put my hair in a puffy bun at the top of my head, leaving pieces out to frame my face. After grabbing my satchel, which I had filled with art supplies and a few books. Along with a blanket and some snacks. I put my glasses on and made the journey outside.

There was this beautiful patch of grass next to the lake, where the swamp vipers lived. With a satisfied smile, I placed the blanket down and took out the things in my bag. Setting up the easel along with a fresh canvas all my paints scattered around me putting me at peace.

The world around me got blocked out as I went to work, painting the breathtaking view before me. Every ripple of the lake, flickering of grass and ruffled leaf. A realistic picture came to life within the blended paint strokes like a mirrored image. My hands becoming a rainbow of colors as I used fingers to help shade a few things. Like strokes of the grass or shadows within the tree line.

"Mystery girl is secretly Picasso," Deuce's voice brought me back into reality. And I blinked taking in his form standing beside me, an impressed look written on his face. I tilted my head slightly to smile up at him.

"When you're an outcast amongst everyone you tend to pick up an assortment of useful skills," I replied looking back at my work, it was almost done. Just needed those finishing touches.

"I saw you out here and thought you might want a snack," he admits holding up a white paper bag which I took from him.

"Thanks no one's ever brought me a snack. Most people run away when they see me, afraid I might try to charm them or eat them," I thanked him, opening up the bag taking a peek. I squealed upon seeing what it was "Is that a chocolate covered rat? They are my favorite," I pulled it out happily taking a bite.

"Yeah I was going to get a scorpion too but they were all out," he shrugged his shoulders and I quickly wiped my hands on the paint rag I had. I dug into my bag pulling out the cookies I made last night.

"Here I made them last night, my dorm has a fully stocked kitchenette. They're chocolate chip and cricket," I set the bag down coming to sit on the blanket. He joined me, taking the cookie from my out stretched hand.

"And she also bakes. Well I guess you'll ace home ick along with art," he joked taking a bite of the cookie. He looked at it like he just met the love of his life. As he did this one of his snakes popped out to say hello.

"I think they want out?" I pointed to a few more that slithered from under his beanie. "Go ahead, it's a no judgement zone. I'm immune to all poisons, venoms and your stone turning powers. Nobody is around, but leave the glasses on in case. I don't feel like having to un-stone someone with my dragon fire,"

"You can reverse Gorgon powers?" He asked finally giving in to the snakes and taking the beanie off. They hissed in glee, happily moving about. One snapped at me, but it didn't hurt. "Hey bad Moe, she's a friend," he scolded flicking the snake on the nose.

"Yeah, most monster powers are reversible you just need to know how to undo it. My succubus powers, for example, all you'd need to do was douse the affected in water, then they revert back to normal," I explained staring at the snakes in awe. The one named Moe hissed at me and I replied by growling my fangs protruding out. Which were clearly sharper than Moe's.

"So you're saying that...." He started trying to find the right words.

"You and I aren't as dangerous as others make us out to be," I guessed where he was going with it but he nodded in agreement "we're just highly misunderstood,"

"It's nice to finally have someone who understands how shallow others can be," he states with a charming smile. After a half hour of just talking, enjoying each other's company he put his hat back on in case someone came by. There were around ten other students who came early like us, so it was best to not take too many risks.

"You have something on your face," he says and I wiped my hand across my cheek. Trying my best to get it off.

"Did I get it?"

"Here," he made like he was going to wipe it off before quickly dipping his finger in the blue paint, smearing it across my face and I gasped clearly not expecting it. Although I should've see it coming really.

"Oh it's on snake boy," I declared war taking the yellow and leaving a hand print on his face, he chuckled pouring the green into my hair.

A battle soon broke out, and paint flew everywhere. I'm surprised my painting didn't get ruined in the brawl. The area was filled with our laughter as we decorated each other in so much paint we became walking art. This was really the first time I've had fun with someone other than my parents. It was the best feeling really, to be yourself around someone without having to truely hide what you are.

Right now I was laying on the blanket next to Deuce, trying to contain my fit of giggles. But his laugher was contagious and made me laugh even more. In the middle of the giggle attack my arm gets really itchy and so I stopped laughing. Sitting up quickly gained his attention and he sat up too as I violently scratched my arm.

"Are you alright?" He asked concerned with my frantic scratching. Which stopped as my patch of scales shed off and there was instant relief.

"It's shedding time," I giggled admiring the shiny new scales on my arm. It was a good thing I wasn't wearing a jacket, otherwise it would've made the itching worse.

"Totally know that feeling," he smirked and we hung out awhile longer before heading back to the school. We'd had so much fun that night crept up on us. And after all the excitement I was rather tired.

He was kind enough to walk me to my dorm and we bid eachother a good night to get cleaned up. And needless to say I went to bed with a smile on my face, and I'd managed to sleep well. I think I'm going to like it here.......