Chapter 2

A few months have passed since I arrived here at this place. I have to say things have been much better since I found out my two sisters are here as well. We sometimes get to play with each other out in the yard. The leaves have all fallen to the ground. All you can hear is the sound of them crunching beneath your feet when you walk outside. We still haven't seen mom, no one knows where she has gone or if she is ever coming back. The thought saddens me. I still wonder why she didn't say goodbye. I push the thought out of my mind. We have big plans for today. The lady says today is a very special day and if we are good, we will get ice cream later. I am excited because we don't get sweets often. As I fumble with my pjs in walks the lady. "Okay, Jackie, here is a dress I want you to wear today". She places it on the bed next to me. It's beautiful, I thought. It was baby pink and had white ruffles along the bottom. The sleeves puffed like a princess dress.

"Wow, I thought" as I slid it over my head. Fighting to push my arm through the sleeve. I hear the lady snap, "Well don't rip it before you even get to wear it"! Then she jesters with her other hand for me to stop. I didn't dare move. After we got the dress on, she told me to sit on her lap so she could brush my hair. As she detangled the knots from where I slept, she then pulled out a pink silk ribbon out of her pocket. My hair was finally long enough that it could go into a ponytail. "Now listen Jackie, I am going to need you to be on your best behavior today". As she stopped to finish tying the bow, she spun me around to face her. She was sitting back now, with her usual moo moo on. This one was orange and had a strange pattern. I became so focused on it. "Was it flowers" I thought to myself.

"Pay attention Jackie" she yelled. "I need you to be good today" she said now lowering her voice softly. Her eyes were now softening as she looked into mine. Her face was full of compassion, much different from her usual frown or grimace. I think she is starting to like me" I thought as I ran my hands down the sides of my dress. The fabric felt so soft. "You know, you and your sisters will be meeting a very special couple". She then pulled me closer as I looked up at her. I could see the tiny hairs on her chin. I could feel her breath on my face as she began to talk. "If you make a good impression, you guys will get to go home together today" she tilted her head as if to see if I was understanding what she was telling me. "You guys will get to go home" she says once more. "Home" I gasped! That's all I have wanted! I then shrieked "of course, I promise I will be really good today"! I was so overwhelmed with joy. I couldn't wait to share the news with my sisters. I quickly grabbed my white ruffled socks and black patten leather shoes. I struggled to buckle the side of one. "Do you need help Jackie" the lady asked. "No, I've got it" I replied as I struggled some more. I was so happy that I was finally going home. I couldn't wait to see my family again.