V

"E kaa ro o!" I said entering my parents' house. The parlour was empty and the house strangely quiet. This was not the usual atmosphere of my parents' house.

On a table placed close to the white walls which were now brown because of dirt and dust, there a small television we called 'mama carry pikin for back' due to its protruding behind.

That television had been there since I  graduated secondary school and University. I often wondered how it survived till date.

"Abimbola Emanuella Ajayi, is that you?" My father called as he wheeled his wheelchair to me. My heart broke, I felt pity and responsible for him. "Daddy e kaa ro Sir(Daddy good afternoon Sir)" I said kneeling down.

"Omo mi(my child). I've missed you so much. You hardly visit these days" He said patting my back.

"I've missed you too daddy. See all your grey hair" I said looking at the grey hairs on his head. They were now more prominent than the last time I saw him.

"Hmmm you're right my dear. I'm old now" He sighed and said.

"You're not old o. You're still a young man" I said wheeling him around the house. This was my favourite thing to do when I still lived with them.

I remember taking long walks with my dad in his wheelchair while we talked about my future.

"Hahaha!" He let out his rusty old laugh and coughed.

"So how have you been my dear? How is work?" He asked

"I've been great. Work has been fine" I answered.

"Hmmm. Have you been able to file a case against him?" He asked and I knew exactly who he was referring to- A. Azubuike.

"Daddy it's not that easy. I need a lot of money to be able to do that, and by money I mean money to settle the judges because he would definitely try to bribe them. It's sad but that's what some Nigerian law courts have turned into these days; you can't win if you don't cheat"

"Ah! Folake that said that her daughter is now going to church. She should come and hear this o!" My father said.

"It's not like that daddy. I am a good Christian. Where is mummy?" I asked.

"She went to the market ni" He replied and I shook my head. "With all the work she's doing, she's still going to the market by herself?"

"You know your mother is stubborn, just like you" He said and a picture of Collins popped in head. He had also called me stubborn one day while we were on the phone.

"This thing, emi ko ni idaniloju nipa rẹ ehn(I'm not sure about it), why don't you forget about it. It has been over a decade already" my father advised.

"Daddy nko le se bee o ( I can't do that o). I have to avenge for you, for us!" I said.

"But you're too young to carry such a matter on your head. I blame myself for allowing you develop the mentality that you must revenge ever since the house was destroyed. Please let it go omo mi( my child)" Father said and I was still not convinced but gave a slight nod.

Dusting her feet on the foot mat at the entrance, my mother walked in saying "e seun Oluwa Jesu Kristi (Thank you Lord Jesus Christ)".

"Mummy E kaa ro Ma (mummy good afternoon ma)" I greeted her, bending a little.

"Ah! Praise God my daughter is here today" she shouted and I rolled my eyes for she was such a dramatic person.