IV

You've refused to come visit ever since you left, Kini ọrọ naa( what's the matter). Your father has been asking of you" My mother said through the phone. This past week had been a crazy one for me. I hadn't gone to visit my parents because I did not want anything to ruin my mood, I only sent them money a few times.

My parents' marriage had never been the most peaceful. Mom and Dad were always at each others throats; watching them say hurtful things to one another always made my mood bitter. Yet , it didn't change the fact that I loved them dearly.

I could do anything to get them out of the bondage of poverty and I had promised myself years ago that I would avenge them, no matter how long it took.

"Mummy it's not that I don't want to come around-"

"I know you hate seeing us fight, but you can't just ignore your parents and be sending us

money as bribe" she cut me short and I burst out laughing.

"Ah mummy! Ṣe o sọ bribe (did you say bribe)?"

"Of course na" my mother said in her thick Yoruba accent. We chatted for about ten minutes.

"Mummy Jọwọ Jẹ ki n pe ọ pada( please let me call you back)" I said as I noticed Mr Bayo

approaching with his bag. "Bye guys" he said and left the building.

"Thank you Lord Jesus! I bin wan think say this man no go close today ( I thought this man won't close today)" Lanre said after he left.

"Asin ehh" Tobi, another co-worker of mine said. We were all about the same age; Tobi, Lanre, Josephine, Lilian and me.

"I don japa o( I've left). Bye guys" I said and also left.

Collins and I had been speaking over the weekand I discovered he was actually not that bad.

He had agreed to pick me up by 5pm for our date. I rushed home to meet Onyinye who did not go to work today as it was her day-off.

"Welcome back lover girl" Onyinye said as I made entrance into the house.

"I don't know if I should still go. Am I even really interested in this guy?" I asked myself plopping on the couch.

"Ain't no way you're not going for this date, just when I finally thought you were embracing womanhood. You must go for that date o!" Onyinye said in a warning tone and I laughed at her unnecessary drama.

"Is it your date? If I'm being really honest I'm only going to catch cruise and chop, not because I like him"

"Taaa! Don't even deny that you like him. Even if it's a tiny bit."

"Whatever girl!" I hollered going to the kitchen.

"Let's get ready. It's almost 5 pm"

"Calm down mama. It's just 3:54pm"

"Are you alright, do you know how long it takes to prepare for a date with such a handsome guy like Collins!" She yelled and I rolled my eyes. Onyinye was always taking pills for other people's headaches.

***************************************

"You see why I told you to prepare for this date days before. I just don't know why you take serious things for granted!" Onyinye complained throwing the black jeans at my face.

I pulled it down and said "It's just a date. It's not that deep. I can even wear jeans and crocs to go"

"Okay, I can see where the problem is coming from. You've never been on a date before. No