CHAPTER I, PICTURE BOOK

"If only you knew the truth..."

July 25th, 1991

 everything would be just fine. You would've been happy. But you aren't.

And I feel like it's my fault you're unhappy, my étoile.

And I am so sorry for putting you through it all.

~forever yours, Regulus Arcturus Black

"I'm serious, James!"

"Oh, I'm sorry! I thought you were Remus, Padfoot!"

Mariah let out a soft chuckle as she closed the recording. That was the first time she had introduced both James and Sirius to an audio recorder, it was a crazy day, and they kept using it, always recording their random conversations that never made sense.

  there was never a moment that was dull around them.

She looked up at her cluttered office filled with books, posters, and paperwork, and she filled up boxes with old clothes in them, she let out a quiet sigh, putting down the audio recorder on her desk before dusting off her overalls as she stood up to look around her office.

  Her hands glazed across the pile of books before one book, dusty and red with the bold words of PICTURE BOOK  caught her eye.

Mariah knew this book all too well as it held every single one of her memories since her time at Hogwarts.

  she picked up the picture book, dusting off the extra dust left on it. She started to open it up.

"Happy Birthday, Beh." She read out quietly, a picture of her and Regulus at the astronomy tower by themselves as they enjoyed the moment to ether. She saw a letter written from Regulus, a birthday present for her back when she was in her final year at Hogwarts.