23

First and foremost:

O Allah, help and protect the people of Palestine. O Allah, ease their pain and suffering. O Allah, bestower of Mercy, bestow your mercy on them. O Allah, open people's hearts to give in this time of crisis. O Allah, help those who are in need, wherever they may be.

O Allah! Improve the state of the Ummah of Muhammad. O Allah! Grant ease to the Ummah of Muhammad. O Allah! Have mercy on the Ummah of Muhammad. Ameen!

Donate here to help the people of Gaza if you can:

https://www.islamic-relief.org.uk/giving/appeals/palestine/pray-for-palestine/

And if you cannot, that's alright. Prayer alone is more than enough.

Thank you!

NADIRA

I cooed at a giggling Abdulrahim as I carried him into the main house. "We're going to have tons of fun today, aren't we?" I say, making silly faces at him, causing him to giggle more.

Amna had dropped him off two hours ago because she had to rush to the hospital as her mother had fallen ill. Sa'ad was at work, and she didn't feel assured leaving him alone with the nanny.

I didn't mind caring for him since he wasn't clingy, and Tayyib had been cooped up in his office all day, just as he'd been for the past three days, so I had lots of free time. We haven't spoken much since our wedding night. We exchange bland greetings whenever we meet outside our house to walk to the main house for meals, but nothing more.

"Hello," I say to Laila, using Abdulrahim's tiny hand to wave at her as I enter the living room.

She waves back using Fadil's hand and smiles. "You look good with a baby," she says with a sly smile.

I laugh at her and shake my head. "Not now, not soon. The person I can make babies with doesn't talk to me."

She tilts her head and gives me a disappointing look, "Still? Come on, Nadira, it's been days. You have to fix it."

I huff as I place Abdulrahim on the play mat next to Fadil. "If he cared, he would have tried to fix it."

"Hello, cutie," I coo at Fadil, pinching his cheeks gently.

I sat beside her and placed my head on her shoulder. She puts her arm around my shoulder and squeezes. "Sometimes you need to take initiative. I know it's hard, but it is what is right. You have to compromise for your marriage," she says.

"I'll think about it," I reply, standing. "I'll go greet Mama. I'll be back in an instant."

She nods, and I head to Mama's room. I knocked on the door, and a few seconds later, the door was pulled open. I had a smile on my face, expecting Mama, but it dropped the moment I saw Maleeka.

She smirks at me and steps back. "Hello, Nadira."

I grimace and walk in. "Hello, Maleeka."

What the hell is she doing here? She's like a German roach. She's everywhere you don't want her to be. I click my tongue as she walks back inside.

"Nadira, come closer," Mama says from behind Maleeka. I walk deeper into the room and sit on the carpet close to Mama's feet.