12. Unforgettable

Two weeks had passed since Meerab's return. Meerab had been trying get back to regimen of the Khan household. Whether it was resuming her Khaani duties, taking care of the daily responsibilities around the house. Now on top of she used to do back then, she also had Meesam to tend to.

While at Farukh's place at Karachi, she had a simple life. She couldn't really ask for much. She was grateful for all that she received. At one point she shared the room with Khala, Meesam & herself. She had gotten used to it. Until after 2 years she decided to come back to her reality. Murtasim.

Returning wasn't easy either. There were oceans of emotions she was dealing with. Everyday she would take cautious steps, what to say, what not say, ensuring Meesam doesn't break anything around the house or upbringing would be questioned, or worse be told that her daughter is just like her. "Jaisi Maa waisi Beti". She would often keep expecting to be told.

But it never happened.

All the maids were extremely respectful to her. Meerab suspected that Murtasim must have given them stern instructions. Maa Begum was surprisingly sweeter than ever, she had begun dotting on Meesam. Ensuring she has all the toys in the world, had started knitted tiny sweaters as tradition for all grandmothers. Meerab wasn't sure how to handle all the love. She was not used to it. But she was aware of how Murtasim's attention felt like, something that she had missed these two years. While she knew it was going to be awkward in the beginning. Murtasim and Meerab did not share the best of the rapport before and now that there was obvious love and longing between the both of the them, one would have expected that they would be inseparable but that was not the case.

They had a heartwarming reunion the day she returned. But something changed in him after a few days. He be a distant. He would acknowledge her presence and dot on Meesam but hardly speak with Meerab. She expected or rather was looking forward to him being his old flirty self. How he'd tease her, gaze at her, try and win her but he only limited his interactions to just being cordial.

It irked her.

Infact the other day at the breakfast when Meesam was about to choke on the grapes. There was a fleeting moment and Meerab swore that there was shiver that ran through her but Murtasim seemed unaffected.

"Ye Meesam ka chehra ajeeb sa kyoun ho raha hai" Maa Begum exclaimed.

Meerab's attention immediately turned to Meesam who was seated on the baby chair. "Meesam... Meesam" Meerab called for her.
Meesam made an awkward coughing sound, trying puke out something.

She was choking on her food and Murtasim immediately swooped her out of the chair turning her over and hit her on the back five- six times until the grape came out of her mouth.

Meesam started crying and Murtasim brought her back to face her, and hugged and started patting her head and rubbing her back. Feeling dejected that he had to hit her back in order to save her.

Meerab was glad to see Murtasim taking up his fatherly duties, getting into the role so effortlessly. He had not been in her life for the last two years. But his attention, his intent and care that he showered on Meesam was making up for everything. The way Meesam would react around Murtasim almost seemed like he had always been in her life. Every evening when Murtasim would come back home and would straight away head to Meesam's nursery and the way her eyes would light up and 'Baba ...Baba....' Would come out of her tiny mouth and her baby sound, this would make Murtasim chuckle and pull her into his arms. This would warm Meerab heart to power infinity.

While Murtasim and Meesam's relationship as father & daughter had taken a great turn. Their relationship as husband & wife had come to a weird end. Murtasim would often acknowledge her presence with just a nod & or check with her on Meesam.