18

On Monday, I felt...euphoric, like a Barbie in all those adverts where they say she can be anything.

I was just in a generally good mood, ready to bounce off the walls if it ever called for it.

Even Avien couldn't ruin my day. Michael was on my mind twenty-four seven, I don't know why but just thinking about him made me want to go to therapy again. 

"Why are you so happy?" Avien asked, glaring at me, his lips tugged downward into a small frown as he placed his homework on my desk. I looked up at him and gave a ridiculous grin.

"Oh, nothing." I beamed, tilting my head slightly. My short hair fell on my shoulder. I probably looked like a dog or something. Avien gave me a look laced with annoyance. His emotions that morning contrasted my own. He looked like someone had hit him with a truck the day before and he lived. A rainy cloud hanging over his head everywhere he went like a hat. His grumpy teen boy mood was ruining the vibe.

Probably angry because I wasn't sad.

I sat down at my seat and unzipped my bag, taking out the book my brother gave me. I also stuffed Avien's books into the bag, remembering how he'd mess me up if I didn't do his stupid homework.

I flipped through the pages examining my inventions and fixing a few bugs in the calculations. Every now and then, I found myself looking up from the notebook to glance at Avien. He looked tired...no... exhausted.

From what? He doesn't do anything so why was he tired?

 Sometimes, instead of the power to see ghosts, I wish I could read minds.

"Attention students." Principal Easton called through the speakers, diverting my attention to his words. "Report to the auditorium now!" He announced sternly.

With a small huff, I got up from my seat and grabbed my bag before leaving class and making my way to the auditorium. I entered the room and squinted as I searched for Michelle and Jay. When I noticed their heads amongst a row of twelfth graders, I went to sit beside them.

The pair smirked at me. Michelle had a cocky look on her face which made me suspicious.

The lights in the auditorium dimmed and Michelle spoke up, "So," she began, "How was therapy?" She said with a giant ridiculous smirk plastered on her face making me confused.

"Good?" I shrugged, leaning back in my seat.

"What was so good about it?" Michelle inquired, pushing Jay from his seat while ignoring his angry protest. Jay glared before moving over, Michelle ignored his killer look and took a seat beside him.

"Not much." I smiled, "But, there was this assistant, Michael. He was really nice to me." I said thinking of the attractive blonde.

Michelle was about to say something but was interrupted by Simone taking a seat next to Jay, "Do you guys know why an assembly was called?" She asked adjusting her glasses, an irritated look on her face as she arranged the textbooks she was holding.

"Just the usual probably." Michelle said, shrugging, "rules, blah blah, new teacher blah blah. Anyways, Gwen was telling Jay and I about her little crush." The blonde smirked, revealing her pearly whites.

"What?" I asked, my voice nonchalant. I wondered what she meant.

Michelle rolled her eyes, "Don't deny it, it's obvious."

I sighed, "I-don't know what you're talking about."

Jay and Michelle looked at each other before turning back to me, "Have you ever had a crush before?" Michelle interrogated, dragging her words like she was talking to a baby.

"No." I answered truthfully, crossing my arms.

I had never had a crush on anyone before. It was something I didn't think about.

"Wait..Are you joking!?" Jay asked shocked looking at Simone then at Michelle before turning back to me like not having a crush was the worst thing in the world.

I rolled my eyes, "No, I'm not joking." My voice came out smaller than I expected it to.

Michelle was going to continue speaking when students poured into the auditorium like a herd of cattle. Some tenth and ninth graders. Principal Easton and Vice principal Penn walked onto the stage.

"Settle down!" Mrs. Penn instructed, nobody listened.

"Settle down!!!" She called, her voice much louder and sterner. Everyone ignored her and kept on talking.

"SHUT UP!" She yelled at the top of her lungs and the room fell silent.

"Good," She continued, "Now, your principal would like to have a word with you." Vice Principal Penn said handing the microphone to Mr. Easton.

The assembly was as boring as you'd expect it to be, Principal Easton went on and on about the rules of the school. After some more speaking, the word Taco caught Jay's attention.

"You're always thinking with your stomach." Simone teased, playfully poking Jay. He ignored her and kept talking about the entire history of Tacos.

This boy.

Principal Easton explained how we'd be having 'Taco Tuesdays' every week and that the new lunch lady would be sharing her secret recipe with us.

Her name is Ms. Marge. She's a short woman who is about fifty with grey hair and dark eyes. She looks kind of nice but for some reason something about her felt off.

After the assembly, Jay and Simone went back to their class while Michelle and I went to ours.

For three periods, she talked to me about her crushes and how she got around to telling them. It was exhausting. I couldn't even focus on the lesson.

"Then there was this boy, in the eighth grade. He was soo hot, but he was dating my best friend, so it was awkward..." Michelle gushed. I ignored the rest of her rant and waited for the bell to ring for lunch.

I hoped it would be some escape from her craziness.

It wasn't.