1

They say the eyes are the windows to the soul, it's true but not in the way you think.

                                                                      .      .       .

The day it happened was a day like any other with a slight twist, it was my birthday.

My family and I had just finished eating at my favorite restaurant and were ready to go home.

"Gwendolyn!!!" My mom called causing me to groan. "Mom, I've told you not to call me that. My name is Gwen."

"Yes Clara," my dad pitched in, a dorky smile plastered on his face, "remember, our daughter is in a phase." He made air quotes with his fingers.

My brother snickered and I glared at him, "I'm not in a phase." I corrected, mimicking my dad's air quotes, "If you want a phase, you should see the kids at my school."

My brother scoffed, not taking his eyes off his video game, "The kids you don't talk to?"

"Watch it Davis."

Davis laughed and I rolled my eyes.

"Okay you two that's enough, get in the car." Dad said and we obeyed him, getting into our black car from opposite doors, once we were inside and secured, my dad started the drive back home, I placed my head on the glass and stared out the window.

"What's wrong dear?" my mom asked turning around to look at me.

I felt odd, like something was actually wrong when everything was okay at the time, there was this unsettling feeling in my chest.

'Maybe I ate too much' I thought.

"Just a little..heartburn." I assured my mother, she smiled convinced and then looked at my brother.

"Davis," she began, "Aren't you going to give your sister her gift?" she asked which caused Davis to frown in confusion, "Wha-Oh! That gift!" He exclaimed in realization.

Davis reached into his backpack and pulled out a black notebook with little silver hearts on the cover, he gave it to me and smiled. "Happy birthday sis."

"Thanks, I love it!" I said admiring the book. "Since you're a nerd," Davis continued, "I thought you'd like to sketch some of your ideas for inventions in it."

"Hey!" I laughed, "I'm not a nerd, but thanks."

"Aww look at my sweet angels." Mom cooed wiping a tear and taking a picture, I cringed at the act, "I can't believe it! My sweet daughter is fifteen already."

"Yes," dad agreed, "Time goes by so fast, I remember when she was still in her crib, she was so small back then."

I rolled my eyes at my parents' embarrassing behavior.

"Gwen! May this year be a wonderful and amazing year for you!" Mom beamed, "I have feeling great things are coming your way."

As my mom finished her proclamation, the tight pain in my chest returned, I coughed.

"Are you sure you're, okay?" Davis asked, still not looking up from his war game, "You could be showing signs of cancer and if we don't treat you, you're going to die."

"DAVIS!" Mom scolded.

"Sorry! It was just a joke!"

"I'm fine." I assured everyone once more and they nodded.

My dad continued driving until we reached traffic, he cursed.

"Giovanni!" My mom scolded.

"Sorry," dad apologized, "It's just this stupid traffic, this road has no business being this packed at night."

"Let's take different route then." Mom suggested.

I listened to my parents carefully as they talked about other available routes they could take home and wondered if I could help them in any way, that's when an idea came into my mind, and I opened my big mouth.

"Let's take the highway."

My parents turned to look at me, "At this time?" Mom asked, "It could be dangerous, you know it's dark out and your father isn't the most patient driver..."

"Clara! I'm not impatient and our daughter has a point." Dad tried to convince my mom.

"Fine," she sighed, "Let's go."

My dad turned around and drove to the highway, just as we were about to cross the bridge, a speeding truck collided with the side of our car, the impact caused us to tumble over the side of the bridge and roll down the rocky hill, on instinct, I tried to protect my brother and myself, but it turned out to be futile.

The car stopped rolling and I was now upside down, gasping for air and fighting for my life. My lungs were tight, and I couldn't see, it felt like a sharp object was pierced into my skull.

I heard sirens just before falling unconscious.

This is where the story begins....