I Play Capture the Flag

Start from the beginning

Percy nodded, appreciating my encouragement, then stepped up to Luke.

Luke showed Percy thrusts and parries and shield blocks the hard way. With every swipe he got a little more battered and bruised.

By the time he called a break, Percy was soaked in sweat. Everyone rushed to the water cooler as Luke dumped water over his head, and Percy did the same.

Luke: Okay, everybody, circle up! If Percy doesn't mind, I want to give you a little demo.

The Hermes guys gather around, most of them suppressing smiles. I guess they wanted to see how Luke used Percy as a punching bag. I gave Percy a thumbs up, trying to reassure him.

Luke told everyone that he was gonna demonstrate a disarming technique: how to twist the enemy's blade with the flat of your own sword so that they had no choice but to drop their weapon.

Luke: This is difficult. I've had it used against me. No laughing at Percy, now. Most swordsmen have to work years to master this technique.

He demonstrated the move on Percy in slow motion. Sure enough, the blade fell out of Percy's hand.

Percy picked his sword back up as Luke spoke.

Luke: Now, in real-time. We keep sparring until one of us pulls it off. Ready, Percy?

Percy nodded, and Luke came after him. Somehow, Percy kept Luke from getting a shot at the hilt of his sword. Then Luke started to press Percy with more force.

Then Percy's sword hit the base of Luke's and he twisted, putting his whole weight into a downward thrust.

CLANG!

Luke's sword fell to the ground as the tip of Percy's was an inch from his undefended chest.

The other campers were silent. Me? I was smiling at Percy as he lowered his sword.

Percy: Um, sorry.

Luke: (grins) Sorry? By the gods, Percy, why are you sorry? Show me that again!

They went at each other again, but this time, Luke disarmed Percy.

???: Beginner's luck?

Luke: Maybe. But I wonder what Percy could do with a balanced sword?

He then looked at me.

Luke: Theo! Come on up here! Let's see what you got!

I just shrugged as I stepped up to Luke.

Luke: Ready?

Theo: Let's go.

He charged at me, and I immediately blocked his swing with my sword. It was even throughout the fight. Every time one of us gained an advantage, the other would make it even.

I was holding my own pretty well, but I knew it was only a matter of time before Luke would swing the fight back in his favor, so I had to end it fast.

Luke went for a downward swing, but I dodged it and grabbed his right arm which held the sword. I then kicked Luke in the head, and then in the chest while still holding his sword arm. This caused him to let go of his sword as he staggered back a few steps. By the time he recovered, my sword was an inch from his throat.

He looked me dead in the eye and grinned.

Luke: Nice one, Theo.

Timeskip

Friday came along quicker than I thought it would.

In the afternoon, Percy, Grover, and I sat together on the pier, watching naiads weaving baskets underwater.