Her Mother's Favorite Scarf

unedited chapter

unedited chapter

── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ───

「 CHAPTER 4, Pg. 2 」

"How are you feeling?" Y/N asked me in a gentle, caring voice, as I endured the burning pain in my hands while she diligently tended to my injuries following the boiler tank explosion.

"I'm alright, Y/N, I promise," I reassured her, summoning a smile to ease her worry. Kim and Lucinda had also gathered around me, with Kim offering her assistance to Y/N and Lucinda observing the situation closely.

"That explosion was quite massive, and I genuinely believed you'd be seriously injured, but it appears like you've mostly just suffered burns..." Y/N mused as she continued her examination of my bruises. "It's as if your body barely felt the impact and only left you with these scratches," she murmured. Despite the pain and the jitters I felt, it was remarkable that I wasn't more seriously harmed. It left me pondering Y/N's words as I surveyed my wounds and burns.

Before any of us could react, a loud noise reverberated from the vicinity of the entrance to our door, as though an intruder had forcibly entered. Our collective attention fixated on the closed doors, which separated the garage from the main room of the lodge, with Aaron stepping closer to investigate.

"What was that?" Aaron inquired, taking a resolute stance in front of the door, prompting Lucinda to move nearer to him.

"It sounds like someone broke through the door..." Lucinda whispered cautiously.

Kim let out a hushed squeal as she sat down, clutching her knees, and Y/N turned her gaze towards Kim with genuine concern. "It's the murderer coming to get us!"

"It's alright, Kim. It's not a murderer... We probably just forgot to secure the door, and the wind blew it open," Y/N reassured Kim in a gentle tone, running her fingers through Kim's hair to offer comfort.

"I'll go check it out," Aaron volunteered, taking steps towards the doors.

"I'm right behind you," I whispered, rising slowly despite the pain from my burns as Y/N cast me a worried look.

"No," she whispered, her voice tinged with frustration, "Let me go. You're in no condition right now." She gently gripped my sweater, putting her foot down with a furrowed brow.

In an attempt to comfort her, I held her hand, which was clutching my sweater, and smiled. "Hey, it's okay. Whatever it is, at least I'll have Aaron with me. I just want to make sure it's not dangerous. I don't want anything to hurt you," I admitted in a soft, reassuring tone, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. Her quivering lip ceased, and a blush colored her cheeks.