Chapter 9

Now you’ve caught

This life of body of mine

Shielding me

With you darkest wings

The colors swirling in your eyes

The deepest sorrow

The deepest despair

How far I ask,

Would you go to save me?

If it would be anywhere

How many miles?

How many Steps?

How many countries?

Would you try?

Would you look?

I expect you to realize now

You are not indebted to anyone

No one at all

I hope you realize now

That I am

Indebted to you

For life.

Collapse

Chapter 9

Everything was black. Darkness was everywhere. Was I dead? I couldn’t hear well at first. But I felt warm. I felt something breathing. I started hearing things again. I felt arms wrapped around me. I opened my eyes, and my vision was blurry, but it focused. I felt like I had control over my body again. "What had happened?" I thought; I didn’t understand now why I did all that. "Who had caught me?" I thought. I saw Aiden’s face once my eyes got used to the darkness. He had caught me. His back was on the ground, his face almost on mine, his arms tightly gripping me to him, his black wings covering us both, trying to shield us… me. He opened his eyes. He looked relieved and muttered," Thank God, what’s gotten into your head now?" He moved one of his hands onto the back of my head, and pressed it to his chest. "I thought you were going to die." He whispered. He sounded genuine. I didn’t know he was so worried, if it wasn’t for him, I would be dead. Had something taken control over me? I wasn’t sure at all. I melted into his warmth and strong arms, and wrapped mine around his back. He had saved my life. Why would he go so far to rescue me? When I saw him coming towards me, I saw something in his eyes that I couldn’t tell. It was more than confusion and anxiety itself, it was more.

When I realized that Joy was falling, and her hand had slipped out of mine. I don’t know what overcome my body. But all of a sudden, I felt like if I didn’t catch her, if she died, I would die in a way, a little in myself, like I had to catch her. But not only because I was supposed to protect her, not only because I liked her, but something, made me go faster. I had saved her. I wasn’t sure at first, and was almost afraid to open my eyes. I know that sounded pathetic, but I wouldn’t know what I would do if she died. I couldn’t stand it, and it would be like the world had ended. When I did open my eyes, I thanked God she was alive.

After a while he released me from his embrace. He stared at me, and I stared back. We looked into each other’s green eyes; that said more than words could. He got up, put me in his arms, and flew back up to the 5th floor. We walked back to our rooms that were next to each other. Silently, we talked in a way. I knew that we were closer than before. Was I in love with him? What would happen if I was and the world ends and I can’t stop that from happening? How much grief I would be in, how much pain, what would I do? Was it okay if we were in love in a time like this? In a way, deep down, I realize that it probably was a bad idea, but I stilled yearned to understand, and wish I had more time to think things through.