Dave cleared his throat, "Well, I mean, who will she work with? My wife is still helping me part time which is more than enough for my caseload at the moment."

Aaron looked my way and I shook my head. "You know I don't work well with others..."

"And I also know you have three new clients that have considerably added to your stress level. At least give it a try, Leo.  Madison said she basically has an encyclopedic knowledge of precedent and could help a ton with your research on the more complicated clients you have to weed through."

My head began to pound at the idea of training a new paralegal to deal with cases the way I prefer them handled. I was extremely particular and after firing four paralegals in a row last year alone insisted I would take care of things myself.

At least that way everything is done correctly.

It may mean spending hours after Bree goes to bed handling research and emails, but my life revolves around my daughter and this firm.  Nothing else matters.

I groaned at the change to my routine, not sure how to react, before the door creaking open took our attention away from the current discussion.

"Welcome, Whitney!" Aaron said with a warm smile, standing from his seat.

A short blonde seemed shell shocked as she entered the office but quickly schooled her expression and extended her hand with a warm smile. "Thank you, Mr. Gregory."

Dave stood as well and ushered her to one of the empty seats across from me while introducing everyone. Mandy offered a soft smile as our new team member set down her bag. "We were just getting the day started. Sorry I didn't grab you a coffee, but I'll get your order and make sure you're included next time."

"That's not necessary, Mr. Spencer. I don't drink coffee." Whitney grabbed a bottle of green juice from her bag and held it up with a smile.

She seemed nice enough and was in a simple black outfit, blonde hair above her shoulders. I studied her a moment as the guys made small talk but still had my reservations about being thrown into this situation.

"So, Leo, your 930 will be here soon. I'm sure you want to brief Whitney before she sits in the meeting," Aaron said to coax me.

I nodded and stood, "Please follow me."

Whitney did as requested and was quiet as she walked a few paces behind. I gave her a quick tour of our office space and showed her where her desk was.  Aaron already had a stack of HR paperwork set for her so I allowed time to settle in while pulling up the case file on my laptop.

Our offices were separated from the main space with a wall of windows so Whitney's area was outside my door about 10 feet away.  Dave's wife, Meg, had a desk nearby as well but usually worked from home except a couple days a week when she came in to make calls and handle scheduling.

She started as our receptionist about 7 years ago.  Dave fell head over heels fast which was fun to watch.

My phone vibrated as I sat in my desk chair and I saw another message from Bree. I keep my cell on Do Not Disturb when I am at work but my daughter's number will always go through.

BREE: Please, Dad, I feel awful... can I please get out before lunch?

LEO: I have a meeting in a few minutes then will come get you, okay? I'm sorry you don't feel well, sweetheart.

BREE: Thank you, Dad. Can we stop at the store? I need to grab a few things.

LEO: Of course, but you will have to come to the office with me for a bit before we can head home.  You know the drill.  My chairs are comfortable and if it's urgent then I will get a doctor appointment set for later today.