1: The world of quirks

In the world of quirks you quickly learn that life isn't fair.

I don't mean to say my quirk is horrible, I mean... look at these pretty wings.

I'm talking about how I ended up;

Walking down the streets of the large city, my wings pulled around my shoulders to keep me warm. I snuggled into my wings slightly, the soft feathers tickling my face before I looked up to the tall building. It was a cold night, but a coat was something I couldn't afford with the small money I had gathered. A small smile covered my lips as I climbed up to one of the windows and climbed trough.

This room was where people were moved who were going to die soon. Many didn't have much time to live, so I spread my wings and used the light from the city outside to heal the patients as well as I could.

Was this legal? No.

Did I care? Nope, not at all.
These people needed help, and I was bored.
I don't mean to say that these patients lives mean nothing to me, I wanted to save people, but this was tiring and it didn't help my hunger for food.

After healing them I waited patiently for my white feathers to stop giving off their greenish light before I stepped to the window again.

When I stood back down in the alley, I leaned against the wall tiredly.
Just like always I ignored my tired eyes and took off. It wasn't safe for people like me to be out in the open for long. I reached my base— the place I sleep, and plopped down on the pillows of the small sofa. I called it my base because I wouldn't give in and call it my home. I didn't need a home, much less be attached to it.

My base was an abandoned apartment. The building was still in use, but after someone got brutally killed here, nobody wanted to take the apartment, leaving it empty. Empty for me to live here, anyway.

As I curled up and used my wings as blanket, sleep overtook me.

But how did I end up here?

At the age of four every child's life somehow changes. For me, I got adopted all of a sudden.
This didn't last long...

"Hiko? Do you know these people?"

It was in the middle of a mall that I met my biological parents for what seemed to me like the first time.

My adoptive parents looked at my biological parents in confusion, leaving me bewildered to hide behind my (at that time) small wings.

In the end my biological parents won over custody, however that works. (I still don't care to learn about all of those laws, don't blame me for them being so uncomfortably complicated)

And so that part of my life begun, leaving me with people that had casted me away for being useless in the past.

The first few days weren't that bad.

"Hiko, could you help me with the dishes?"

Then a week passed, changing their tone.

"Get off your fat arse, Hiko, you yet have to do the dishes!"

Within a month I wasn't good enough for their tastes, and after that month I learned to protect myself from them.
I must admit, the few years I spend with my biological parents didn't only traumatise me. I was thought things I wouldn't have learned otherwise.
I learned to steal, to hide things, to hide myself, to defend myself, to test food for poison, to— you understand the living circumstances? Okay, lets continue the story then.

One day, I got injured a little to much.
I ended up stumbling out of the house, scared and out of my mind. Whatever it was that possessed me to go against my parents will and to escape them, it might have saved me my life.

A hero had found me and brought me to a hospital, earning my parents a ticket to prison.

And that left me alone.

No, the orphanage didn't take me in. Not because of a bad reason, but because I ran away. I didn't want to be adopted again, I knew better then to stay in the same house as people who were stronger than me.

And so I build my own nest— not like that. My base, my own apartment where I was safe.

In this cold apartment I hugged myself tightly, the broken window letting cold wind in.
One day I'd be a grown up, and I'd get myself a window.