Chapter 7

"Hermione you cant keep putting it off. Sooner or later you're going to have to get a new dress."
Ginny said as she sat with Hermione in her dorm. Hermione nodded and looked down at the ground. She still wanted to ask Draco if he would want to go with her, before one of the many Slytherin girls asked him. Ginny, Harry and Ron has gotten back from Hogsmeade about an hour ago, just after lunch. Harry and Ron only came back with a few sweets from Honeydukes, but Ginny came back with what looked like a whole new wardrobe, and wanted to try on everything for Hermione.

"How was Hogsmeade?"
Hermione asked.

"It was fine. We went to the Three Broomsticks and had some lunch. Ron was a bit quieter then normal but his appetite was about the same."
She said smiling, putting away the new blouse she bought.
"Ron gave me some extra every flavor beans from Honeydukes, want one?"
Ginny asked holding a handful out to Hermione.

"Ginny, I've been thinking."
Hermione started, ignoring Ginny's outstretched hand with the candy.

"About what?"
She asked taking some of the beans for herself.

"Taking... Well, someone else to the dance."
Hermione avoided eye contact with her friend as Ginny looked up at her.

"I know Ron's a real arse sometimes but he just cares about you. Who is it you want to take?"

"I'm not leaving Ron. I just wanted to take... A friend."

"Who?"

"Draco Malfoy."
Hermione said quickly, waiting for Ginny to explode with rage and forbid her to ask him, but Ginny sat there quietly, thinking.
The past few weeks with Draco have been some of the best weeks in Hermione's life. Draco always knew what to say to make her laugh or put a smile on her face. Lately, Hermione feels like she's getting even closer to him.

"You two have gotten close."
Ginny finally said. Hermione had overlooked Ginny, when it was her who noticed the two stare at each other during meal in the Great Hall, or how the two always enjoy sitting next to each other in potions.
"To be completely honest, I think he's better then Ron."

Hermione was taken by surprise at Ginny's words.
'Draco better then Ron?'
Hermione said in her head, but the more she said it, the more it made sense. She hasn't felt this happy in months, and it's all because of Draco. Every day she wakes up excited to see him, and dreads seeing Ron.

Hermione didn't respond to Ginny and looked down at the ground.

"How do you think Ron will take it?"
She asked. Ginny thought for s moment before answering. She knew her brother better than anyone, but his reaction to Hermione asking Draco to go to the dance would be unpredictable.

"If you do it when Harry and I are around, I think he would keep his temper low. I don't think he would want to make a scene."

Hermione knew Ginny was right. Ron is the only person she knew who could turn something so little into something so big.

"Do you fancy him?"
Ginny asked suddenly, catching Hermione off guard. She gave Ginny a confused look before thinking about her question. Obviously the answer was no. She had a boyfriend, of course. But, Draco had a little bit more respect for her then Ron did, and he never underestimated Hermione the way Ron did. Draco always have her his full attention when she spoke and he respected her.

"No."
Hermione said after thinking it over.

"If you don't fancy him why would you want to ask him to the ball?"
Ginny asked.

"Because Gin, he's been through a lot and I think it would make me feel better if we went to, I don't know, clear my conscious. After everything he's been through, I just want to give him a good memory to have."