Chapter 27: Hamster's wheel

Start from the beginning

"But what if it does?" I answer back, trying to bite down the bitterness.

He clenches his jaw, tilting his head as he looks far into the road, understanding the hidden meaning behind it. I wish I could help it, trust his word fully, but I don't, we both know it.

"I promise you Winter," his hands clench around the black leather on the wheel as he once again locks our eyes. "I mean you no harm, not now, or ever. Nothing bad will happen to you if you drink that coffee."

When you watch people on the television so blindly fall into the trap of someone's words, you curse them out, maybe before or after you make fun of them for being such fools. Yet it's easy to say it when you are not the one looking into those eyes which seem to be casting enchantments on you.

I drink it and feel nothing. Nothing except for sweetness and sugar on my tongue as I lick clean from my teeth and drown into the taste.

Minutes pass as I lean my head into the seat, turning it to the side to look at him as I ask. "Where are we going now."

He is tapping his finger on the wheel. "To visit my sister."

I pause, then it clicks. I don't think I will ever get used to Lilah being his sister.

"I can't believe you never told me you had a sister."

"I suppose we both had things we hid from each other."

I swallow down, fair enough. "I know, but I thought I had your full trust then, even if I was meant to use it, I thought I had it."

"You did."

"I obviously didn't." I cut myself of with a yawn, as I blink the heavyness off my eyes. "Otherwise you would have told me."

"I wanted to, just waited to be sure it was true, then when I was, well, some other truths flew on the table."

"I know-" I go to say, yet the heaviness, as it dropped from eyes to my lips. I close my mouth, trying to get myself up, but my whole body feels seven times harder to push up.

Landon is quiet as I put the cup down, turning to the side as my vision begins to blurry and I have a serious wish to drop into sleep.

"Landon." I say, turning to look at him, him who is just silently staring at the road.

I don't know if he can hear me, and I am not even sure my mouth is moving into a manner of speaking, but I can think. I can think and I think thoroughly as the black void encloses on my eyes and I go back to each step he took.

He talked to the woman working there even after, he waited for me to take a drink, he is Landon, he promised.

He promised.

It repeats like a mantra in my mind, ticking like a clock. Then it speeds up, or slows down, I'm not sure but it switches, switches on the sound of an actual clock ticking right next to my left ear.

Like a finger tapping on the wood somewhere in my proximity I feel my body resting into the flood of comfortness as my eyes slowly gain consciousness. A white wall with a small part of the door is the only thing in my sight for a while, my body feeling too heavy to move at the beginning.

I think I was sleeping.

Yet I don't remember dreaming.

I don't remember much at all at the beginning, it's only when the memories hit me that I feel something like a shock of electricity into my brain and I am shouting into the bed, grasping the sheets as I breathe out, looking at my surroundings.

He is the first thing my eyes focus on, as he stands with his arms crossed next to an open door. He said something, I couldn't hear properly as the ringing was still in my ears, but now all I can do is try to catch my breath as I shoot him glares.