Eda prepares to swing her pickaxe. "Ah, nuts to you guys." She swings causing us to flinch as the pick collides with the creature's teeth. "So Eda... What if we tried some new lessons for our apprenticeship? Like... read ancient scrolls or mix together potions, or..." Luz asks regarding me and her. "Ugh. That sounds like a bunch of magic school stuff." Eda responds a little repulsed. I raise my eyebrow at this. "Um, yeah. Eda you agreed to teach Luz and to some extent me. What did you think that entailed?" I say but she doesn't respond but Luz still seems focused on what Eda said.

"Wait. Is there a magic school here? Like winding towers, cute uniforms, dark plots that threaten your life kind of magic school?" She asks looking at Eva and she nods before Eda responds. "What's worse, they force you to learn magic the 'proper' way. But magic isn't proper. It's wild and unpredictable. And that's why it's beautiful. I didn't finish school and look at me! Who wouldn't envy where I am right now?" Eda has the pick in hand gesturing to her appearance but all I see is the trash surrounding her and the flies buzzing above her head. "Yeah, I'll take my chances with school, besides I've always wanted to go since I've never atended before. Not like I could." 

I mutter the last part and Eva holds my hand in comfort which feels nice and I give her a thankful smile in response. Luz looks a little downtrodden at Eda's words and she notices. "Uh... Hey, here's a lesson. A great witch is resourceful, like this." She grabs one of Eva and Luz's hands in each of her own and dunks them in a puddle of sludge. Luz pulls out a greasy slime ball that Eda tells her to use wisely. Eva pulls out a strange ruby necklace that gives me the chills. 

Eda looks to me and I can tell that she wants me to do the same thing. I want to refuse but I suddenly feel myself being pulled to a puddle behind me. And I don't mean physically. I reach my hand into it and I come into contact with what feels like metal. I grip it tight and pull. It takes some effort but I end up pulling out a pretty impressive sword.

"Sfant iadul dracului. Now that is an impressive sword." I state and Eda turns back to the slug. "Back at it. We'll hit the stink nodes fist." Eva is the first to respond however. "Actually, mom. I think that I'm gonna go I don't want to ruin my dress. Much less smell like garbage."  Luz then raises her hand. "Me too."  I strap the sword to my belt by it's sheath and walk away silently. 

As we're walking through the woods back to the house Luz begins to speak. "Ugh. If magic's all about digging for slime balls, Maybe I don't have the stomach for it." I can hear the frustration in her voice. I don't even need to look behind me at her face to know it. "Don't worry that's just my mother's unique way of doing things." Eva reassures her and I smile at this.