thirty eight, out of the woods

Start from the beginning

then, his hand outstretched. A plastic bag smeared with blood hung from his fingers, and Jane could see into it. Medicine. It had medicine. Syringes, pills, bandages, medical stitching.

"Take it. I don't want the kid to die." Negan said, and maybe, just maybe there was some pity evident in his sinister look.

She wanted to be smart, she wanted to refuse the medicine that could've been obviously tainted. But with her desperation, with carls, she couldn't. She could not afford to think smart.

Snatching up the bag, she looked at Negan one last time before sprinting away, back into the vulnerability of open Alexandria. She didn't wait for her eyes to adjust to the searing sun, instead she fumbled her way back to the sewer, making sure no one saw her get in. Why was Negan still there? Had he been waiting for her?

She couldn't think of a single reason why he would do that. Unless he really was serious. Unless he really didn't want Carl to die.

Crawling back to the group as quietly as she could, she didn't know if anyone would still be awake. She didn't think they would be.
Wincing as her boots crunched on the stoned floor, she finally reached Carl and their group. Kneeling next to him, she frantically tried to open the bag when a voice made the hairs on her neck stand bolt upright.

"Where did you get those?" Siddiq asked plainly.

"Infirmary." Siddiq nodded, silencing himself though he knew there had been nothing left in the infirmary for months now. There was a long pause before anybody spoke again.

"Just don't tell anyone I went up there alone." Jane demanded, and siddiq nodded again.

Lightly shaking him awake, Jane got Carl just conscious enough to take two pills from the bag before passing out again. All this in and out stuff was not good for him, but frankly they could do nothing about that. A few times, he woke up on his own, usually asking for Jane or Rick or sometimes even Michonne, but he couldn't really understand that they were right there infront of him.

Once, in his sleep, his hands clasped onto Jane's, which made her almost smile. Soon, she was actually asleep, but this time, it was next to him, with his head tucked in to her shoulder. That was when Rick woke up, and watched them as they curled into one another. He felt like he was grieving his son already, it hurt so bad. But to see Jane like that....it hurt a whole lot too. He hated the fact that she had to be the one to get the glass out of his skin, and she had to be the one to drag him down here. But he was also so thankful for her. That she was the one for his son, not anyone else.

Someone that would do anything for him, and not just anything - anything Rick would do.

A quick rap at the door sent her head spiralling up, snapping out of her blankness. The water ran down and off her body as she kept her eyes trained on the wood, her knees pressed tightly to her chest.

"Jane, it's me." Carl said, though his voice was muffled from the other side of the door. The blood that usually marinated in the bottom of the shower had had its run already, far down the drain which left the water beneath her crystal clear. "You okay?"

She didn't say anything. She couldn't. She'd been on freeze out ever since Negan attacked, and everyone knew why - except her, it seemed.