【𝟎𝟏𝟏】

𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠

━†☓☯☓†━

    𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐅𝐄𝐖 days you have been stuck on "Berk" the humans have been doing their best to gain your trust while you were vulnerable and injured, without much success. With the combination of your wounds and the loss of your pups, you were constantly on edge. Even Toothless could barely keep you relaxed.

    They opted to let you wander the island while everyone was going to sleep so you could familiarize yourself with the island and wouldn't have to stay in your temporary confinement all day. This worked well for you–you found another nice cave you could stay in once you found your pups and you got to spend more time with Toothless.

    Unfortunately for you, luck didn't seem to be on your side. The villagers began to stay up later, so your walks were no longer as peaceful. Toothless had proven to be a good friend during these times, steering you clear from any tense conversations, fighting, and big crowds. However, there was no way you could avoid any taut information.

    The usual human group avoided talking about anything surrounding your pups when you were near, but your burning desire trumped their secrecy.

"...find anything..."

"--o! Where do we look?"

"...recognize?"

"--don't know–"

"We can't tell–"

    By connecting tidbits of conversations you were able to catch, you came to a devastating conclusion: they had absolutely no idea where Blacklight and Coalcap were.

Great.

    Toothless sat, watching you pace the arena. You were in the same arena you ate and woke up in–the room you came to dread, grumbling incoherently about something he couldn't understand. He, frankly, had no idea how to comfort you. This wasn't a unique situation by any means, but being this involved was. Most of the time he would only get Hiccup where he needed to go, he never really did any of the comforting. That was never his strong suit.

    "Toothless," you grumble, catching the night fury's attention. "Please tell me the fat one isn't coming today. I don't think I can handle him."

    Toothless gave you a sassy look, "His name is Fishlegs." he stated, relieved that the tension was finally broken. "And he comes every day to make sure you won't get an infection. He doesn't even take that long!"

    You drag your feet to Toothless, ignoring how fidgety he became when you were especially close, and sat down in front of him. "Maybe he'll get sick," you hum mischievously, leveling your head with Toothless'. "Maybe I'll hide." Toothless almost rolls his eyes.

    Seeming especially delighted with your idea, you look around for a potential hiding spot–there are none, but you try anyway. You don't get far in your search before the gate opens and Fishlegs comes scampering in with his bag.

    Fishlegs surveyed the arena until he found you, pathetically trying to hide behind Toothless. "Alright, (M.N)," he smiles. "Are you ready for another checkup?"

    You don't move from your spot. You are not ready, but it doesn't really matter if you are; Fishlegs will continue the examination no matter how you react. But, if you can't get out of it, the least you can do is make it hard for him.

    Fishlegs sighs, exasperated, shaking his head. "You aren't going to make this any easier on me, are you?" He beelines for you, determined to get to you and through your walls. "Well, at least you aren't hiding from me this time. Maybe I can get a closer look at you!"

    Toothless quickly moves out of Fishlegs' way, opting to sit next to you while you're being examined instead. Fishlegs lays you down and sifts through his bag, bringing out a makeshift magnifying glass, gauze, and some bandages. It was a lighter load than yesterday.

    "Okay, don't bite me," Fishlegs hums, prying your jaw open and looking into your mouth. The cloth that once held your jaw shut to heal your tongue and add pressure onto your head was removed the day prior, so that wasn't an obstacle for Fishlegs' inspection today.

    Thankfully, your concussion was minor, most of the damage being your teeth puncturing your tongue. Even if it was a burden to eat with an open wound in your mouth, it was better than your open wound being in your head.

    Fishlegs beams, pulling away from your mouth. "Good news! Your tongue is scabbing over. Just a little longer and you'll be able to eat normally again." You slump and sigh, smacking Toothless with your tail when you hear him laugh.

    When Fishlegs moves down to your wing, you get more anxious. There was still a great amount of pain there, considering bones were broken and it never fully healed from your first fight with the monstrous nightmare.

    Toothless, ever the observer, noticed and laid down, putting his head on yours. Instead of focusing on the pain of FIshlegs' adjustments, you instead focused on Toothless. The way he let his weight on you, the way he smelled like the grass you were aching to see again, the way he seems so devoted despite how long you've known each other...

    "Alright," Fishlegs exhales, wiping his forehead and eyeing your bandaged torso. Instead of your old wrap, Fishlegs managed to swathe just your injured wing with his fresh, clean bandages, so you were able to stretch your healed wing without hindrance.

    Fishlegs eyes you giddily, biting his lip to contain his excitement. He reaches a hand to your head, but you lean away with a subtle grimace. Fishlegs slumps a little, no doubt disappointed, but he understands and moves away. "Don't mind me," Fishlegs whispers, rifling through his bag once more, before whipping out a notebook and charcoal pencil. He scoots 2 feet away and begins writing in his notebook, occasionally glancing at you and Toothless.

    You don't bother questioning him. This was something Fishlegs always ended up doing–evaluate your condition and write things down in his notebook. You could never figure out what exactly he was writing, even when you managed to steal it, so you just decided it wasn't important.

    You relax once again in Toothless' hold. You're quick to fall asleep, exhausted from all the frustration you felt today.

Fishlegs left soon after and left you to dream.

━†☓☯☓†━

[𝑾𝒐𝒓𝒅 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕] 1,059