Chapter Thirty-One

Beginne am Anfang

"I do understand that," I say quietly.

"You won't say anything to her?"

"No, I won't, but as soon as she can know, she should know. That is just my advice, but you should take it," I say warningly.

"I will," Oliver agrees, his eyes drifting off as he pushes the swing again.

I dismissed my jealousy for Brandi as soon as Olly and I became a couple. It literally just went away, and I never once doubted his dedication to me. Brandi was the girl he almost fell for, but she was never meant to be. She was our friend and we both felt responsible for her because in finding each other, we hurt her.

At least, that's how I always saw it.

"When you look back with an open mind, you see things with fresh eyes."

Oliver's phone ringing cuts through the quiet air like a siren, jolting me from what I'm sure was about to be a rabbit hole of overthinking.

I wonder if it's about Billy as I watch Oliver's face light up, no he couldn't have gotten news that good that fast...

"I did it!" He exclaims as he hangs up his call. "My dad got the unofficial call. We'll get the official one Monday morning."

"The official what?" I ask, feeling my excitement grow with Oliver's despite not even knowing yet.

"The duplexes are a go! I won!" Oliver looks like a kid in a candy store as he beams. "I can do them my way! Well, mostly, I'll have some rules, but still, Kinsey!! It's happening!"

"You did! I knew you would, Oliver this is so amazing!" I cry out and then before I know it, he's swept me into his arms.

Suddenly, we're seventeen again, right here in this park after he won the debate that he was so scared to go up and do, and I am telling him I always believed in him. I cling to him, closing my eyes as this crazy twister of then and now, swirls chaotically around us. As he releases me, I see him shiver just slightly and know he felt it too.

"I had hopes, but wow," he murmurs, his tone full of awe and his eyes full of pride. "I can't believe this!"

"I can," I say firmly. "The second you told me. I knew you'd make it happen."

He blushes as a big smile spreads over his face, but then a crinkle stains his forehead as his eyes darken with concern.

"What is it?"

"We didn't think we get the call for weeks yet. The bookstore has to be done before the books arrive. But the medical board is going to want fast progress on the demolition so they can set up inspections. I don't have enough people to make this happen."

"If only there were another construction crew in town," I say in a sing song tone.

"No way."

"Oliver, you need help and he's your best option."

"He'll never do it."

"Yes, he will."

"Kinsey..." he groans. "Seriously?"

"What other choice do you have?"

****

Summer nights on the farm can be stormy and scary, hot and muggy, cool and windy, or on a rare night like this one, warm but with a gentle breeze, like a hug, comfortable and cozy. They even smell sweet nights like these.

I'm wearing a short summer dress that fits loosely and comfortably on me, and don't bother with shoes as I walk across the field toward Hunter's trailer with a little goodie bag in one hand and a glass of white in the other.