Any Relation with a Jew is Strictly Prohibited

Magsimula sa umpisa

"That's just a rumor, Mamma," Margeit said, kissing her mother's cheek. 

"Besides, you can't send your son into Hitler's Youth anyways. I'm Jewish, remember?" Avi glanced up from his book, chuckling under his breath. Mr. Fischer whacked Avi's arm and gave him a stern look. Felix and Avi had an off-and-on relationship. They agreed on certain things, like art, music, and politics, but when it came to the Third Reich, they could never talk about it with any sense of understanding. It made sense, though. Avi was one of the many Jews who were being persecuted just because he was Jewish. He was getting all of his rights taken from him, all his dreams were smashed under the boots of the Nazis, who never once thought to look back and see the lives they had torn apart. And now, Felix was becoming one of them. He knew he didn't want to be like them. He didn't agree with any of the propaganda that the Fuhrer had tried to produce in the past few years. Whenever it came on the radio, Felix would change the station, even if he was home alone or with the Fischers. He didn't believe any of it for one second. But he wasn't sure if Avi trusted him or not. 

The school that he, Avi, and Margeit had gone to segregated the Jews and the Dutch only a few months ago. And now most of the boys who weren't Jewish were being forced to study German History, Military, Survival Training in the outdoors, propaganda, and other things that Felix had never even seen before. His whole class was issued new textbooks the day that the Jewish students were sent out focusing on how the Aryan race was superior and changing some of the stories and history that Felix had been learning over the past few years. Everything changed. And on the first day of German-influenced classes, one thing was made apparent. 

Any Relation with a Jew is Strictly Prohibited. 

One day, when Felix went to walk Margeit home from school, a group of boys who were involved with the Hitler Youth with their red badges- came up and pushed Margeit off the sidewalk, almost causing her to fall into the canal. They laughed and shouted, and called her Itzig, which Felix later found out meant obsolete. Margeit, who like Felix could understand German fluently, started to whimper as the boys walked away. It was a group of about ten or twelve, all red or beach blonds who were a little shorter than Felix was. But in Margeit's eyes, they were much more intimating. Felix had to push through the group to get to her as she lost her footing. She even dropped one of her books into the dark water. Margeit curled up into Felix's arms as they walked away, trying to save whatever was left of her pride while she still could. 

It was a quiet walk home after that, tears were filling up in Margeit's sparkling blue eyes, which made Felix's heart shatter. He placed an arm around her shoulders, trying to comfort her. She leaned into his side, hiding her face from the rest of the world in shame. 

Once they got to the Fischer house, Margeit put her books on the kitchen table and ran straight into her mother's arms. Sobbing, Mrs. Fischer tried to comfort her daughter, consoling her that they were just immature boys who were being raised wrong. But Felix and Avi shared a glance from across the room. Avi's face was red with rage and he would've ran out the door and after the boys if his mother was in the room. 

Avi had a special hatred towards the Nazis. Just like the Nazis had a special rage against people like Avi. Jews and Nazis don't mix. 

Ever since that day, Felix went everywhere with Margeit. It was normal for Felix to walk Margeit home from school, but now, Felix walked Margeit to and from school, to a small Jewish bakery (which was now ran by low class Dutchmen), the ice cream shop, the market, anywhere and everywhere so he could be by her side. Now that they were in a "steady relationship", Felix felt obligated to protect Margeit. Mr. Fischer even made it clear that he wanted Felix to stay with Margeit. She was not only a Jew, but a woman. "Women are already objectified enough," Mr. Fischer said, "her wearing the Star of David makes her even more of a target."