She did appreciate his respect for her space. Matt had sat close to her, but far enough away that he wouldn't disturb her sleep. His boots were still on as he sat back on his haunches and stirred the fire. Yes, she remembered the boy this man had been. She remembered he never harassed her like the other kids did. He just simply went on as if she didn't exist, just as most people had done her entire life.

"I remember you." Madison spoke softly as she shifted her arm and propped her head up slightly. Her body ached with a tiredness she hadn't known since her early days of P. E. class each school year. "You were a senior when I was a sophomore... a linebacker, right?"

Matt turned and gazed down at her body, curled up warm and soft still with the small hint of sleepiness in her eyes. Pressure gripped in his chest, tightening around his heart, making the blood pump just a bit harder through his veins.  He wondered if she even knew how tempting she was at that moment.

It would be so easy to just curl up next to that warm little body and let her feel the warmth that seemed to spread through him like a raging forest fire. It was a temptation that he didn't need. A momentary fantasy that wasn't going to happen. Matt knew that and held those heated thoughts in place.

Down boy, he thought to himself, you are in no position to be thinking about that right now. She is hurting, Matt thought. A woman in pain, vulnerable can take a man's focus away from his job. That is a line he won't.

Matt concluded the lust that was nagging at him must be the effect of the drought in his social life. For him to have these kinds of thoughts while on duty just wasn't normal. He never felt this kind connection to someone who was involved with an investigation. He needed to step back and remain professional.

She made it personal. She has a good memory, better than he did, of those long ago days. The fact that she remembered his football position had knocked him off balance. Not many remember him that way now.

Matt nodded to answer her question. "Your mom worked at the diner on Main Street. I remember her."

He missed the hurt in her eyes when she looked away. It didn't occur to him what he said would hurt her. He was making polite conversation acknowledging their memories of each other.

"You remember her...not me." Madison corrected him, making him feel like an idiot. 

Her stomach growled as she sat up and moved away from him. How long had it been since she ate? she wondered. Yesterday morning maybe, no, it had to have been the day before. She vaguely remembered grabbing McDonalds on one of the gas stops she had made. Yes, the Quarter Pounder with cheese and large Coke didn't sit in her stomach well. The idea of food was having the same effect on her now.

"Yeah, I guess so. I'm sorry." Matt felt bad, her face told him it wasn't the first time she wasn't remembered. Something told him that was a common occurrence for her. For that alone he was sorry. "How about I fix you something to eat?" Uncomfortable that she called him out on his statement, he rose to escape the room.

"It's okay. I'm not hungry." Madison pulled the thick blanket around her and settled down closer to the fire. For some reason the room had suddenly gotten very cold.

"Your stomach just growled. I heard it." Matt argued, raising his eyebrows waiting for her refusal. "It's no problem. I got some groceries for you before I headed out here yesterday. You're fully stocked as long as we're stuck here."

Without another word, Matt turned and left her alone in the room. Why would he bring groceries? How does he even know what she likes? Madison was at a loss for words. Not that he waited for a response. Obviously, he is determined to fix her food, whether she wants to eat it or not.