comfort

The one where you support Conrad when his mom got diagnosed with cancer.

You were staying with the Fisher's over the summer for the fifth year in a row. You thought that once you and the Fisher boys grew up you wouldn't spend as much time together, but that was not the case. In fact, as you've grown you've actually gotten closer to them, Conrad especially.

You weren't official or anything but everyone kind of knew that something was going on, and no one was trying to stop it, surprisingly.

Susanna was pushing for it hard. You knew how much her boys meant to her so for her to be pushing him into a relationship with you meant a lot. It felt special.

It was almost the end of the summer, which means it's time for the annual going away party that was thrown every year down at the beach. You and the boys were going, along with every other teenager in Cousins.

You got ready in your room, and walked downstairs to go find Conrad, as he wasn't in his room.

You walked past the kitchen where you saw Susannah sitting at the table.

"Hey Susannah, do you know where Conrad is?" You asked as you saw her wipe her face when she realized you were there.

"Oh, I believe he went out to the dock" she said smiling at you. Susannah was always smiling.

The dock was usually where Conrad went to smoke or be alone. Seeing as though he was supposed to be the DD you assumed it was the latter. You looked out through the patio doors and saw him sitting there. You looked over at Susannah and she nodded for you to go out there. Unsure of how he was feeling you thanked Susannah and walked outside.

As you walked out to the dock you saw Conrad sitting on the bench staring out at the water. You noticed a bottle of vodka sitting on the bench beside him. You sat down next to him and noticed that his eyes were red and swollen, like he had been crying.

He didn't look at you when you sat down, he continued to look out at the water. Something didn't feel right, Conrad doesn't cry.

You reached your arm over and placed your hand on Conrad's. "Conrad, are you o—"

"She's sick again" Conrad cut you off.

"What?" Was all you managed to say. Conrad looked over at you.

"My mom. She's sick again. Her cancer is back". Conrad's voice cracked as he spoke.

You looked at Conrad, completely shocked, unsure of what to say. Susannah had breast cancer a couple of years ago. She fought like hell and beat it and seemed to be good. Her scans were clean for years and she was as healthy as ever.

Over the last couple of weeks you had noticed that Susannah was more tired than usual but she had a lot going on, with helping to plan the Deb ball, and hosting a big party for Adam's birthday. Being tired is normal, you were tired all the time. You never thought that it meant anything. Maybe you should have figured it out.

You felt tears come to your eyes as Conrad told you the news. Susannah was like a second mother to you. Always there for you, and always encouraging you. You felt immense sadness, but you knew that Conrad was feeling even bigger emotions, it was his mom. You had to support Conrad in this.

You wrapped your arms around Conrad and held him while he cried. He wrapped his arms around you and squeezed you. You cried along with Conrad. You knew he needed to let out his emotions, so you let him. He needed this.

As you held him, you thought about the two of you. That's why Susannah pushed you to him so hard. She knew that he needed someone, for this moment. She had sent you out here, she must have just told him the news.

Conrad left your arms and wiped his eyes. He looked at your face and wiped tears from your eyes. He grabbed your hand and held it with both his hands.

"She said she's not gonna do chemo" Conrad said sniffling. "She wants to still be her, even if it means she dies". You start crying again.

"Maybe you can convince her to do it, for-for you and Jer. She'd do that. She loves you guys" you said in between cries.

"No, she's set. She said that she loves us so much, but she doesn't want to spend the rest of her time  hooked up to some machine in the hospital. She wants to spend her time here, with us. In a place she loves, with people she loves, as a person that she recognizes" Conrad said sniffling. "She's gonna die y/n" Conrad started crying again.

You cry with him again. You pick up his hands that are on yours and kiss them. Conrad leans his head down onto your chest and cries. You put your arms around his head and kiss his head.

You hurt so bad. You hurt for yourself, but you hurt for Conrad. All you want to do is comfort him, be there for him. But you don't know how to help him. You can't tell him everything will be okay, because it won't. You can't tell him that she'll change her mind because she won't. All you can do for him now is hold him, and let him feel sad.

After a couple minutes Conrad picks his head up and turns to look out at the water. You put your head on Conrad's shoulder and look out at the water with him. It was peaceful looking out there,  Conrad always came out here when he needed to clear his head.

"Conrad if there's anything I can do for you at all, please tell me. I wanna be here for you, and I want to help you through this. Whatever happens, I'm here with you" you said softly to him.

"I know. Thank you y/n" he kissed your head. "There is one thing I need your help with".

You lifted your head and looked at him. "Of course, anything".

He looked over at you. "Can you be there with me when I tell Jer? I-I don't want to do it alone, and mom asked if I could" Conrad asked.

"Of course. I can do that" you stared at Conrad and kissed his lips. Conrad kissed you back. After a few seconds you removed your lips.

"I'm here for you, okay? No matter what, don't shut me out?" You asked Conrad with glossy eyes.

"Never" he said back to you.

A/n: ooof this one was kinda sad sorry bout that. But I love a good comfort story so I had to write it.  Also sorry I haven't uploaded in a while, I had a hard time finishing chapters, but I've got lots of writing so more should be posted soon. Anyways hope you liked this one. Comment, vote, etc. give me ideas, whatevs. Ok byeeeee