4 - It's Alright, I'm Here

———

-Your POV-

"What're you doing here?" I gape at the redhead standing in my living room as if it were a normal occurrence. The key in my hand slips between my fingers and falls to the floorboards below me. "Silver?" I didn't even bother to lean down and retrieve the key, my eyes were locked onto a pair of crimson ones.

Stepping forward, I drop my backpack on the shelf I'd installed myself and approach Silver, who wordlessly stares at me, eyes furrowed.

I rush up to him and fluff his hair. "Earth to Silver." I giggle, and he blinks.

Continuing to smile, I ran my hands through his long bright red hair, noticing how soft and silky smooth it was between my fingers. He lifts his hands to place them around mine where they continued to playfully ruffle his hair. I froze.

"...(Y/N)? How did you get into my house?"

"Whaddya mean?" I cock my head, grin faltering. "I live here."

Something in Silver's eyes told me his inner turmoil was entirely due to bafflement. Then, I remembered. I hadn't paid the rent for this apartment for a month and it's likely they, assuming I left, let someone else use it — while I was chained up in the underground headquarters of Team Rocket.

"(Y/N)?"

"Sorry," I shake my head, letting my hands fall to my sides. "I guess I was mistaken. I'll go now."

I turn away, not meeting his eyes. Before I can get far, however, I feel a hand wrap around my wrist.

I jolt, glancing over at Silver, perplexed.

"It's my father's fault you don't live here anymore." Silver watches me keenly as I flinch. Giovanni... had a kid? And it was Silver? He continues, "So I say, you can live here. There's a spare room, correct?"

"Right." I nod.

I'd forgotten about the spare room. When I lived here, I always used it to store stuff I didn't need, but I believe it did come with a bed.

"Well, uh... Um, as long as it's fine with you, I'm willing to let you stay here. But it's not like you should read into this more than it is! I just feel obligated to, since my father... I dunno..." Silver trails off, loosening his grip on my wrist.

I offer the redhead a smile. "I appreciate it." After a pause, I bite my lip, nervous. "But all of my stuff...?"

"I've only been here for a handful of weeks, so I shoved it all into the extra space. I was going to get rid of it, but I guess it's a good thing you came when you did."

"I'm so glad..." I whispered, then teetered slightly. Since I had been heavily relying on my partner, Magenium, to travel, I still wasn't very stable.

I hadn't eaten yet, nor had I gotten any rest.

Just as Silver seemed to want to ask me something with a scrunched-up and worried face, my knees gave out. The last thing I hear before my world turns dark is Silver's frantic voice, crying my name, "(Y/N)!"

-Silver's POV-

"I'm so glad..." (Y/N) murmurs, and I notice too late as she wobbles, then collapses to the ground.

I barely catch her in my arms just before she hits the floor. "(Y/N)!" I cry, but her eyes remain closed. I jostle her a bit, panicking, then I recall the state I found her in. Beaten and worn. Dizzy from blood loss. Exhausted. Needed to be carried.

Wait, don't tell me...

"You didn't eat a proper meal?!" I scream, but she lay unresponsive in my arms. "Do you have a death wish? What an idiot..." I grumble, frowning.

Not wasting any time, I lift her into my arms and cautiously carry her across the hall to the spare room in the back, careful not to drop her fragile body. After setting her down on the unused bed, I stare at her face, not knowing what to do next.

As I've never had anyone under my care before, I tried to think of anything I've seen in movies or shows. (Y/N)'s quiet but sharp breath catches my attention. She seemed to be working up a sweat, eyebrows pressed together.

I exit the room with a lingering glance at the girl, fetching a strip of cloth and rinsing it with cold water. Then, after entering the cluttered room once more, I gently placed the cooled towel over her forehead, trying to give her some relief.

"Silver..."

"What?" My gaze snaps to (Y/N), but her eyes remain squeezed tightly shut.

"Silver..."

"(Y/N)?"

"SILVER!" She screams, tears streaming down her cheeks and onto the pillows beneath her head. "HELP ME!"

I rush to her side, but linger there, uncertain. I stick to placing one hand over (Y/N)'s clenched one. Were they nightmares? She was plagued by the recollection of when she was locked in Team Rocket's headquarters, no doubt.

"(Y/N)..." I whisper, lips trembling. I was at a loss for words. She was still fast asleep, but somehow found an ounce of energy to call out my name. There was nothing to do but be here for her when she awoke.

Hours pass, but I don't leave her side. Reluctantly, I resolved to silently read a book in a chair next to her, but I caught myself worriedly glimpsing at her sleeping form on her bed. I tucked the covers up to her chin, noticing her uncomfortable expression. Somewhat satisfied, I continued to read my book.

Soon, the time ticks to evening. I quickly make myself a small dinner only containing a sandwich and chips, but I hardly eat a bite. Why won't she wake up? Then, the sky grows a violent shade of orange and scarlet as the sun sets, and I set down my book. Night falls, and with (Y/N) sleeping in her bedroom – known previously as the extra space – I have to sleep in the room next over.

I sleep and wake, she's still out cold. Another day drags by, and I'm starting to be severely concerned.

Now, two days after her arrival, I'm close to calling a doctor or something. I fell asleep, vowing to do it first thing in the morning. After drifting into my usual light sleep, I'm startled awake around the middle of the night by someone bawling.

I jump to my feet and fling my bedroom's door open. I swear, my feet only touched the floor twice in my mad dash to (Y/N)'s room. "(Y/N)!" I exclaim, and her clouded with fear (e/c) eyes snap to lock onto mine.

I stand in the doorway awkwardly, and she stares at me, tears still rolling down her face. Wordlessly, she walks across the small room and wraps her arms around my torso.

"Silver..." She mumbles, not letting go even though she probably feels me stiffen at her touch.

"What- what happened?" I ask hurriedly, not sure where to put my hands or how to comfort her. (Y/N)'s tears soak my shirt, but I ignore it, awaiting a response.

"I had a bad dream, that's all..." (Y/N) keeps me trapped in her embrace. "But... Can I get something to eat? Please?"

My gaze softens ever so slightly. "Of course,"

———

Word count: 1231 words