Chapter 6: Homecoming

Start from the beginning

We watched a few more minutes of the game before Josh returned with four hot chocolates. Natalie took one then passed it to me, then took another one setting it next to her on the bench and then took the other and opened it letting the steam escape.

I watched as she gently swirled the drink as more steam escaped. She took a sip and I noticed her glasses fogged up. I guess she wasn't kidding when she said it was hard to drink hot drinks with glasses. She put the lid back on and gave it to Haley.

"It's still hot so be careful." She instructed.

Haley eagerly put the cup to her lips and tilted her head back. She then put her head down immediately.

"Still too hot?" Natalie asked, removing the lid again and repeating the process.

This happened two more times before Haley could drink it. By that time Natalie's hot chocolate probably became warm chocolate.

"Jefferson takes the win!" The announcer said through the speakers.

Josh stood up shaking his head. "Shit, that was awful."

Natalie and I's heads snapped to him and he covered his mouth looking at Haley.

Haley didn't seem to notice though. She was too busy trying to lick all the chocolate out of the styrofoam cup. The three of us sighed in relief.

"Ready to get out of here?" I asked Natalie as I stood up too.

She nodded. "Come on Haley."

"E, can you carry me down?" Haley asked, looking up at me.

I smiled and reached down, putting her on my hip. She giggled and shook her head. I moved her so she'd be on my shoulders. Her arms wrapped around my head and I held onto her feet.

I looked at Natalie and she had a weird look on her face. It was a mixture of awe, pride, and maybe attraction?

We headed down the bleachers and out to my car. As we walked I took Natalie's hand and laced our fingers together. Even in the dark I could tell she was blushing. I felt Haley lay her head down on top of mine.

"Hey no sleeping missy." I said as we got to my car. "We got to get you and your sister home."

Haley let out a small whine, but when I pulled her from my shoulders she didn't complain. She rubbed her eyes sleepily as Natalie buckled her into the car.

Before Natalie could walk to the other side I grabbed her hand again and pulled her into a hug. I felt her relax as she lifted her arms to wrap around my waist.

Going slow was definitely different then what I was used to, but it was so incredibly nice. Natalie and I haven't kissed since the party. After she told me it was her first kiss I was determined to give her a better one.

I pulled away from her and smiled cupping her face between my hands. "Ready?"

She nodded.

~Natalie~

"Alright Haley at the Henderson's, check." I said going over the mental list in my head. "Hair and makeup stuff set out for when Mary gets here, check. Showered, check. Shoes, check."

"You know you talk to yourself when you get stressed." Nate said with a smile playing on his lips. "You said you showered?"

"Yeah, you're good to use it." I said tapping my chin again. "Oh and you know the rules."

"In my room or downstairs." He grumbled with an annoyed expression. "When is E getting here?"

"Six I think."