Chapter 1: The Last First Day

~Natalie~

"Are you ready to go?" Asked my twin brother as we got out of his car.

I nodded. "It's our last first day."

He chuckled and slid his arm around my shoulders. "I feel like this will be our year. With you already on your way with getting a scholarship and me picking up extra shifts at the diner as a line cook, I think things are looking up for us."

I smiled at him. He had a really cute boy-ish grin that, in my opinion, made him handsome.

Nate and I are each other's best friends. We've been together since the beginning. We came into the world together and ever since then we've been inseparable. Mom used to tell me stories on how Nate wouldn't sleep until I was lying next to him when we were babies. She had to put us in our crib together otherwise Nate would cry until he could feel me next to him.

I did like getting him in trouble sometimes when we were younger. He used to tease me relentlessly. However that changed when our father got involved.

"I hope you're right." I said softly as we walked up the steps to Jefferson High. "Are you taking the cooking class as an elective?"

He shook his head. "I couldn't fit it in. Between the long hours at the diner and homework this year, I'm trying to keep any extra time that I have for socializing."

"Socializing?" I rolled my eyes. "Haley and I are the only socializing you need."

Nate ruffled my hair which made me frown as I smoothed down my hair and adjusted my glasses on my nose.

"I really want to make more friends this year, Nat." He said as he held the door open for me. "Maybe even find someone to date?"

I looked at my brother again. It still shocked me that he hadn't had a serious girlfriend. A few dates here and there, but nothing ever serious.

"What time does Haley get out?" Nate asked, pulling his schedule out of his back pocket.

"Susan is taking her at eleven. She'll be done by the time we get out of school." I said as we arrived at our lockers.

"That's good." He said.

I knew he felt nervous relying on others, I did too.

"We need the help. I can't come in late all the time like last year if I'm trying to get a scholarship."

"It's not like your grades suffered from it, though but still..." He began to empty his backpack into his locker only grabbing a text book and a large notebook.

"It'll be fine." I said grabbing my first class's textbooks as well. "It's only for a few hours."

Nate nodded and then closed his locker. "I really need some breakfast. Want to go to the cafeteria?"

"Cookies? For breakfast?" I laughed. "Count me in."

Nate draped his arm across my shoulders again as we headed to the cafeteria.

~Elliot~

I threw my car into park and jumped out. I was cursing under my breath at the fact I was late on the first day of school.

"E!" A shrill voice came from behind me. "You were just going to leave me there?"

"You're the reason why we're late in the first place." I grumbled using my height to take longer strides which of course made Emma run after me.

"Slow down." She called to me.

I ignored her. All through summer she has been weird. We didn't really go out on dates anymore. She would usually just call me over to satisfy her...needs. Then I'd go home like nothing happened. Are we even a couple anymore? I felt more like a booty call.