Chapter 5: Time

~Natalie~

August turned into September. Then September turned into October. October brought the chatter of Homecoming and the Homecoming football game.

Mary kept gushing over her dress and said that she was sewing it by hand. She was also worried about going to the dance alone. Sarah and I offered to go with her and the three of us could go as a group, but Sarah got asked.

"You can't say no to him." Mary said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"But-"

"No but's." Mary said glaring at her friend. "You've been wanting him to ask for the past month, you are going. You both are my best friends. I'm not standing in the way."

Sarah's gaze shifted to me. "Natalie?"

"Mary knows you both better than I do." I said with a shrug. "I'd listen to her."

Sarah started to bounce excitedly and wrapped her arms around Mary.

"You are the bestest best friend ever." She squealed as Mary hugged her back.

"I know. Now go before Westly gets cold feet."

Sarah let go and gave me a quick hug before scurrying off to find Westly. I looked at Mary.

"Are you sure with just us going?" I asked.

Mary shrugged. "It's not like we won't have fun. I wish we both had dates. E isn't going to ask you?"

I shook my head. "We talked about it, and we both decided that it's still too soon after the break up. However I made him promise to give me a dance."

Mary giggled and closed her locker. "That's really cute. I'm glad you two are spending so much time together."

It's true. E and I talk everyday and just about every night. While I make dinner I usually talk to him for hours. He's also has come over a couple weekends in a row. Last weekend he even brought the crayon machine to let Haley use it. It was cute watching him show her how to load the old crayons in the top and watch as the colors swirled together to make new crayons in the bottom. They colored all afternoon with the new crayons.

"Speak of the devil." Mary said, looking behind me.

I heard two voices behind me. I turned to see my brother and E talking and laughing.

They've become closer as well. E would always ask for my brother when he and his sister would come to the diner. He would alway leave generous tips on the table, which at first made Nate incredibly uncomfortable, but E wouldn't take no for an answer.

"I'm serious, you should try out." E said, slapping Nate's back.

"Not enough time in my schedule, E, but I'm happy you think I have a shot."

"Shot at what?" I asked my two favorite boys.

"Natalie, you should convince your brother to go for the baseball team in the spring." E said, looking between the two of us. "I saw him throw, he's got an arm on him."

Nate wasn't really paying attention anymore to the conversation. His eyes were glued to Mary who was digging around in her backpack for something.

"Oh Mary." I said, making her look up. Her cheeks reddened when she noticed my brother staring. "This is my brother Nate. I don't think I've ever actually introduced you two."

Nate stuck out his hand. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Nate."

Marry giggled and nodded.

"I just said that." I said, narrowing my eyes at my brother, he still didn't look away from Mary.