Chapter 12: Soulmates

Chapter Twelve

School went by slowly, too slow for Sunny. He thought about the woods often and took all of his attention from school. He ran into a door once and zoned out without realizing that Leland was walking towards him.

He waved a hand in front of Sunny but he was lost, imagining his dad turning into a wolf. He was blond all over, like his hair, and he was as big as Zephan and Leland when they were wolves. His eyes glowed brown and he imagined him to also have a ring of golden colliding in his eyes. Then he imagined claws and teeth, so sharp they cut through skin with a light touch. He was terrifying.

"Sunny?" Leland said, still waving his hand, and spoke softly. He crouched down slightly to meet Sunny's eyes and when the blue looked startled, he took a step back. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Zephan walked over and stood next to his brother, he didn't say anything, only listened. "Do you want something?" Sunny asked loud enough for the people walking by to whisper. No one talked to the Jagger's like that.

"Yes, I want to talk to you," Leland said softly as if he was trying to make his voice seem less loud and intimidating, and Sunny felt it working when he remembered the innocent sound of it. He wanted to hear it more, to trust him.

"Okay but make it quick," He crossed his arms and the whispering increased, probably wondering why he hadn't been screamed at for using that tone. And despite feeling judged, Sunny wondered the same thing.

Leland looked around, "we should talk outside. No one can hear, and we need Mackie too."

After some convincing, Mackie agreed to talk and only talk. The four of them sat outside on a picnic bench on the school grounds.

Leland sighed, sitting across from Mackie and Sunny, Zephan next to him. He crossed his fingers over the table, "I'm sorry for what you saw and chasing you after that. Humans aren't supposed to know about us so when we accidentally slip up, we have to go over a few things."

"Okay," was all Sunny said and Leland decided to continue.

"There are a few rules and if you fail to not break them, we are–I am obligated to wipe your memory of the day you saw us shift."

"Wipe our memory?" Mackie scoffed, folding his arms over his chest. "Why didn't you do that from the start?"

Leland shook his head, "Us wolves, we protect humans. Consent is vital to us and if you follow the rules just fine, then there is no need to take those memories from you unless you want to."

Sunny and Mackie both shook their heads.

"It doesn't hurt. Our pack doctor makes medicine with herbs so she's made a few just for humans. She usually makes it into tea and by morning, you won't remember a thing, and your life will go back to normal," Leland explained before getting into the alternative: rules. "First, you can't tell any human about werewolves, it doesn't matter how close you are to them."

"Obviously," Mackie mumbled, remembering Lola at the packhouse.

"You can't date a werewolf, it sounds strange but it actually causes a lot of issues."

"We can't date werewolves?" Sunny raised his blond eyebrows.

"Yes. This rule applies to everyone but soulmates. If you are soulmates with a werewolf then there is nothing stopping you from getting together, it's actually encouraged," Zephan finally spoke. "It's too risky otherwise. There is nothing bounding you to our world so there have been a lot of instances where we've been backstabbed by humans. Also, it makes things complicated if the werewolf has a soulmate that isn't human and every werewolf has a soulmate."