| 16 | A Wolf in the Dark

Start from the beginning

It was showing him a memory—its memory.

He watched as the beast moved through the woods, following a trail of blood and wolf prints. When it moved down into a ditch, it located Remus, who lay bleeding and panting. The unicorn looked around for whatever did that to Damon's son, but there was nothing and no one, only Remus bloodied and beaten.

But the unicorn showed him the memory again.

And again.

And only when he saw it a fourth time did Damon notice something. It was only for a brief moment, but he saw the flicker that came from a wolf walker's eyes in the presence of light.

Somebody was out there, and considering they didn't come running out to claim Remus told Damon that they might be the one who did this to his son.

As he was freed from the unicorn's memory, Damon gritted his teeth and clenched his fists. "Did you see the wolf?"

It shook its head.

Damon exhaled deeply and tried to compose himself. He was furious; he wanted to find the piece of shit who did this to his son—he wanted to hunt them down and tear them apart. But right now, he had to be there for Remus. He couldn't leave to feed his desire for vengeance and let his son wake up without him there.

"Thank you," he said once more to the unicorn. Then, he shifted back into his wolf form and left the burrow.

He made his way over to the shimmering blue fire. But on his way, he spotted Jackson sitting with Wilson. The muto scowled at him when they locked eyes, but Damon didn't have the interest nor the energy to deal with him right now.

"Anything?" he asked Bly as he sat beside her.

"His wounds are healing," she said while soothing what was left of the herb paste into Remus' wounds. "His body temp is rising, and all the ice is gone."

Damon stared sullenly at Remus' wounds. Now that he knew a wolf walker had done this, he felt even worse. Could it have been a desperate rogue looking for a meal? Or could it have been something much more dangerous, such as a member of Kane's pack?

He took his eyes off Remus and looked over at Julian. Could their ex-Alpha have Etas out there looking for his pack? They had, after all, killed the wolves Kane sent after them the first time, and if their places had been reversed—and if he had the numbers—Damon would have sent wolves out to find those that killed his packmates, too. But was this going to be a problem? Was Kane's pack going to get in the way of their mission?

"Julian," he called.

The silvery-black wolf lifted their head from their paws and looked over at him. "Y-yes, sir?"

"Come here."

Julian left Jackson—who stared curiously—and Wilson and made their way over to him. "Do you need something?"

"I need you to tell me about your old Alpha."

"What about him?"

"He'd want to kill us for killing his wolves, correct?"

"Uh...from what I saw when I was there...yeah."

"How far would he be willing to trail us?"

Julian thought to themselves for a moment. "Kane would track people for weeks, even outside his territory. He was never afraid of coming across other packs, either. Kane's...well, he's strong, sir."

Damon frowned in confliction as he looked down at his son. "So, it's possible that he's still looking for us."

"Yeah. He probably knows that his plan to lead those hunters towards us didn't work. He's got eyes everywhere. They..." Julian paused and looked around, "could be watching us right now."