4. New School

HANA

"So... are you and Ryuu... both from the Dragon clan?" I asked hesitantly since the whole thing still sounded like some made-up fantasy.

He nodded and briefly looked over at me. "How much have your parents told you about the clans?"

"Not much." I sighed and stared out the window as we entered the highway. Three lanes merged into six as more cars joined us, probably going to school or going to work. "They decided to give me a short history dump last night to prepare me for today. Besides the existence of the seven clans and that I belong to the Hebi one, we didn't get much further than that."

"Does anyone else know about your background?" He quickly added.

"No." I shook my head slowly. "At least, I don't think so since I didn't even know until last night."

"Good. Keep it that way." His clipped tone made it seem crucial that I follow his instructions. "Don't tell anyone that you're a Hebian."

"Why?" My brows furrowed in puzzlement.

"I don't have time to explain right now but you'll know more later when the time is right." The vague answer only made me more confused.

Does this have something to do with why we moved so often?

"Wh—"

"So Hana," his lips broke into a smile. "What type of guys are you into?"

"Uh—" I was taken aback by the random odd question and it ruined my train of thought. "I... don't think I have a type?" My body fidgeted slightly in the leather seat, wanting to ask more about the previous topic but I could tell he didn't want to continue.

He laughed. "That's what they all say until the wrong type shows up and then gets rejected."

"To be fair, it's... not something I've thought about before. I don't know if there's a type I like but..."

"But what?" He briefly looked over at me before refocusing on the road, going at least 70 miles per hour.

"If I were in a relationship, I hope there is respect and trust..." and love. I didn't add the last part since it sounded so lame.

His head turned and his eyes studied me with interest for half a second. "I agree." His smile reappeared and there was sincerity in his voice. "Those things are important for any relationship to work."

My lips mirrored his happily as my cheeks flushed. "Yea. I want someone who actually listens when I voice my concerns since... most guys aren't the best listeners," I added as I started to feel the ease between us like friends.

"I'm a pretty good listener." His voice was nonchalant while he kept his eyes straight ahead.

I bit my bottom lip at the subtle hint and cleared my throat as I tried to change the topic to lighten the mood. "So, is it a normal routine for the class president to pick up new students and bring them to their first day of school?"

"No. I only do it for my betrothed."

"Betrothed—" I laughed before my brain fully processed his words. "Wait, what? Say that again."

Did I hear him right?

"My betrothed. I don't just pick up any random student." His head swiftly glanced my way as if to check my reaction.

"I'm sorry—" I shook my head as if to clear away the fog. "But I think I misheard you, did you just say 'betrothed'? What do you mean by that?" My mind was reeling like crazy.

"Your parents didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?" Trepidation started to set in. "I had only just found out last night about the school and how it's for clan members only. That's it!" My voice rose slightly as anxiety started to fill my pores. I suddenly realized that there's so much I don't know and it scared me.