chapter 19

"When things go wrong suddenly in our life. We run behind Ray of light hoping it pulls us out of the misery we have been. An emotion as strong as love is what we all search in those times, it doesn't matter if it's from our parents, friends, relatives or some strangers. When my mind says yes, you are being loved now be the strong person you were, in that moment we live again." Oishani spoke sitting beside me on our bed. I had no intention to ask why she's being so emotional all of a sudden.

" When I started working for Shubham, it was difficult to adjust with him and his company. My parents owned it. " Oishani revealed making my eyes go wide.

" You mean to say you are the owner of Lettuce B healthy?." I questioned her. She nodded her head as yes. For a moment I was stunned to find my wife so calm. If my calculations are right,  she is richer than me, a billion dollar company owner struggling to meet her ends?

" How?." I asked her quite shocked with the way she is.

" Its a long story for me to tell you,  for now I would like to talk about us." Oishani spoke. I was silent. This piece of information did not add up when I asked my assistant to check her background. The way I lived since my childhood,  I can say my sympathy and attention for struggling people is more. Oishani squirmed in her place looking at my exposed legs.

"I am their only child. We lived in this apartment for more than 20 years. My Dad he's surgeon and mom a nutritionist. They met in hospital." She started making me alert. I did not care to get their details as it's of no use after their death. Turning towards me, she had intense look in her eyes. Tears formed around them like a pool which pulled my heart.

"My dad is Dr. Vipul Shah and my mom Sharada Shah." She spoke. Something clicked on my mind. Shah?

"Are they the Shahs??????!!! You are their daughter!." I got up from my place as if my body is on automatic mode in terms of respect towards their parents.

"I...I can't believe you! Show me some evidence!." I demanded walking around the room. Probably I am living in their personal space or maybe their own room. Oishani slowly got up rummaging in one of cupboards. She came back holding an album layered with dust. Giving it to me, I slowly turned each page where I could see love in their eyes towards Oishani. Their last photo was probably few years ago when they met with an accident.

"I am sorry for your loss." I murmured still in shock.

"Its ok. That was headline of the decade because exactly a day after the company was planned to be transferred on to my name as they wanted to concentrate on their profession. Dad got few years to retire while mom was getting contracts to handle TV actors. They were excited for the work, recognition. Although my parents were famous for their charity work. They knew moving with the change was necessary. Hence, they decided to leave me with burden of the company , slowly transfer their work on to me. Expect for my dad's consultations." She spoke slowly going ahead with her words.

" I thought we were going to talk about us?." I said trying to deviate her as I could hear vulnerability in her voice.

"This company. It got transferred to Shubham's uncle. I don't know how. That day, my parents found something else too." She spoke referring to their accident day.

" We , at our company provided programs for people with obesity and other diseases which can be regulated through diet. It was approved by government , followed by WHO guidelines. My dad found that Shubhams uncle who was share holder in our company,  started a program where registered candidates were given scheduled longer duration of fasting with juices as diet instead of solids for 2weeks." Oishani spoke fidgeting with her fingers. Holding her hand, I kept their album aside. Pulling my wife close to me, I smiled at her encouraging whatever she's willing to say.

" One of them died and Dad was framed. Apparently,  his uncle was conducting a study on those people without consent or permission from the government." She continued.

" But mom found out,  its not due to fasting. It was due to slow food poisoning. She pulled up record of post mortem while dad was in jail. When he got released after finding its not his fault rather Shubham's uncle negligence of preparing/ supervising food safety lead to cause of death. Our company had to pay fine, he got suspended along with his uncle. That program was canceled and compensation was paid by my father along with free treatment if there are any health issues at his friends hospital. " Oishani shared getting up fron our bed. I listened silently not understanding what she meant by all this. How is this related to us?

" I saw similar way of slow death, I mean planned slow death of someone and I had to step up after my parents expired." She spoke turning towards me.

" Slow death? Dear, you have stuffed me with so much of information that I can't follow you up now." I said.

" It's you Varad." She announced which made my body shiver in shock. I looked at her hoping she said it's a joke but no.  Her serious and calculated eyes held so much depth now.

*********************
Unedited.

Please vote comment and share my story!

I know it's been months but I had to take time out.  My mind was busy helping me develop a story for my other book which got completed.

So... let me know how you feel about this chapter.

Until next time:)