Chapter Fifteen

The bright light above her bed blinded her as she woke

The bright light above her bed blinded her as she woke. Sarah groaned and turned her head to the side to make the black dots filling her vision go away. As she looked to the side she saw Sidney and their father both asleep on chairs by her bed.

"Sid," she croaked.

Sidney jumped from the chair and walked to her bedside, "Hey, how are you feeling?"

Sarah just pointed to the water sitting on the table, "Water first," she croaked.

Sid nodded and fixed her a cup of water, "Slowly Sarah, you don't want to choke on it."

After she got her fill of water she was ready to find out what happened after she passed out, "So what happened?"

"Well," Sid sighed, "Cotton saved us. He shot Mrs. Loomis, only after I agreed that we would do a Diane Sawyer interview with him. Gale is fine, her gunshot wound wasn't as serious as we thought. Dewey survived being stabbed again. Its a miracle but he's a fighter."

"What about Cole?" Sarah asked.

Sidney hesitated and Sarah could feel her eyes begin to fill with water, "Is he dead? Oh God he's dead isn't he?"

Sidney rapidly shook her head, "No! Sar he's fine. He's in the ICU, it's just that something happened when they were operating on him," she paused, "He died on the table twice. They were able to bring him back but it was really touch and go. He hasn't woke up yet and the doctors are unsure of if he'll be the same Cole he was before."

"I want to see him," she stated.

Sarah threw the covers off her legs and went to try and stand up but Sidney grabbed her by the hand and said, "Hold on. I need to get your doctor and let him know your awake so he can evaluate things. Then if he says its okay I'll take you to see him."

Sarah agreed; fifteen minutes and one wheelchair later she was on the way to Cole's room. Sidney pushed her up to his bed, "I'll step outside and let you have some time alone with him."

Sarah just stared at him with all the tubes and wires connected to him. She grabbed his hand and squeezed, "I don't know if you can hear me or not but I want you to know that I love you and I'm not going anywhere. I need you to fight, we have not been through everything that we've been through for this to be the end. I can't lose you so fight dammit!"

She doesn't know how long she sat there before Sidney told her she had to go back to her room. The next few days were filled with the same routine: wake up do what the doctors ask of her, and spend every moment she can in Cole's room with him.

On the fifth day she's discharged. As she is gathering her things Sidney comes bursting into the room, "He's awake!"

Sarah stopped what she was doing and took off towards his room. By the time she got there the doctor was finishing up his evaluation. When she burst into the room Cole's face broke into a grin. All her worries went away as soon as she saw his smile.

She ran over to him and kissed him hard on the mouth, "Don't you ever do that to me again."

He grinned, his dimples showing, "Well we always seem to have a plethora of people coming after us. Maybe we should go somewhere that no one can find us."

She smiled, "I'll go anywhere as long as I'm with you. As long as we can get a dog I'm set."

He nods, "Of course. Who could forget about the dog."

They spent the next couple of hours laughing and planning their future. Hoping that finally they would be able to live in peace but when you're from Woodsboro there is no such thing as peace.