Part 18: towel

I honestly can't keep my eyes open. All I know is that I was following Rafe into an escalator of a hotel that looked like it used to be majestic and beautiful, but now looks... dilapidated at best. 

The escalator ride up to the 9th floor is quiet. I guess neither of us really know what to say. I'm trying to think of a way to leave and run away, but I have no idea how. And no matter what I do, I know Rafe will find me. 

The elevator dings and then comes to a stop. The doors open slowly and Rafe gestures for me to step out first. I'm too tired to argue, so I oblige. 

The carpet looks old, the designs are faded and raggedy. 

"Room 926." Rafe says. 

We walk to the end of the hall, and I see our room. Rafe brushes past me and unlocks the door with the room key. 

The room is nice on the inside. It's big, with a nice water view and a balcony. Even in death, Ward has always been ritzy as hell.

I step over the threshold... then I stop dead in my tracks. 

"There's only one bed?"

Rafe stops at the sight too. 

"Listen, I don't think this place is safe. It's to big, too on the map." 

"So what do you suggest Rafe?" I ask, annoyed. 

"The less people that know we're here, the better... which means I can't ask the people for another room."

"Why the hell not?" 

"Because then the more staff know we're here!" He exclaims. "Look, can we just make it work tonight? I'll sleep on the floor, I don't care."

We sit in silence for a few moments before I let out a sigh. 

"Fine. But we leave first thing tomorrow."

"That was my plan anyway Kie."

I sit down on the edge of the bed and look around the room. That's when I realized just how icky I feel. I've been out all day, and I haven't had a proper shower in quite some time. 

"You know, I think I'm gonna go wash up. I feel... crusty."

Rafe doesn't say anything as I step into the small bathroom and shut the door behind me. The tub looks kind of dirty... but it will have to do. There are little bottles of shampoo and body wash on the edge of the tub. I turn on the water and let it heat up as I get undressed.

The warm water feels good on my skin, and I savor the feeling. I let the water run down my hair and my body, and I lather up the soap. 

I feel like a new person by the time I'm done. I down the water off and...

Shoot. There are no towels in here. 

"Rafe?" I call out, hoping he isn't passed out on the floor. "RAFE??" I yell louder. I'm about to yell for a third time when I hear him. 

"Kie?" He asks, his voice a little raspy. I probably did wake him up. "Kie what's wrong" he asks. His voice is clear now. He's right on the other side of the door. 

"Nothing is wrong... it's just..." I trail off, debating on whether to ask for his help or just...
well, there really wasn't another option.

"Kie if you don't tell me what's wrong-"

"There aren't any towels in here!" I exclaim in a jumbled mess. 

I can practically hear him smirking behind the door. 

"Alright, I'll go find one." And with that, I hear his footsteps grow more distant as he walks around the room. 

I stand there, shivering in the tub for what feels like an eternity until I hear what sounds like a cabinet shut, and then Rafe's footsteps getting louder. 

"Found one." He calls through the door. 

"Ok... just... come in and hand it to me."

"You want me to come in?" He asks, surprised. 

"How else am I supposed to get my towel?" I snap.

The door slowly creeks open, and I see Rafes silhouette on the other side of the shower curtain. I still my hand out past the curtain, and he hands me the towel, our fingers brushing each other. 

I grab the towel and try to take it, but he doesn't let go.

"Watch your tone with me missy." He says in a low whisper. 

My face gets red, and suddenly I'm aware that I'm naked, and the only thing separating me and Rafe is a thin, translucent shower curtain. 

He finally releases his hold on the towel, and the knot in my stomach unclenches.  

"You're welcome!" He says in a sarcastic voice as he exits the bathroom, shutting the door behind him. 

EndgameOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara