Can't two people reconnect? The biggest lie I ever said (1/3)

From this prompt I received on tumblr:

Brocedes for the "are you okay? are you hurt?" prompt 🥺

Nico had watched it happen on the screen like everyone else on the paddock and on the stands.

The sudden crash of Lewis, spinning around until his car banged against the wall.

He watched, holding his breath, but there was no movement in the car.

He could feel Mark and Jenson's eyes on him, while he tried his hardest to avoid them, his eyes glued onto the screen.

He didn't know how long had past, but, he suddenly became restless and had to move. He had to get to the Mercedes pit wall, so that's where he hurried off to.

Toto didn't even seem one bit surprised to see him there, even if he doesn't get why. He knew first hand how bad things had been between him and Lewis.

Maybe he just suspected they made up, but they hadn't. Not really.

They were civil. Neutral.

So why did it feel like his heart was pounding out of his chest?

"Has he answered yet?" His question is aimed at Bono, who just stares at him like he has 2 heads. It's exactly the reaction he'd expected to be honest. "Has Lewis answered yet?"

Bono glances over at Toto, who nods at him, then turns back to Nico. "No. He hasn't."

Fuck.

Shit. Crap.

Scheißse.

Without another thought, Nico rushes forward and pulls Bono's headphones off. He doesn't get a chance to argue because Nico has the headset already firmly on top of his own head.

"Lewis!" He demands into the microphone. "Lewis, answer me."

And finally. Finally he hears crackling from the other end of the line, then a groan.

Nico feels like he can breathe again.

"Yeah..... Yeah, I'm here. Sorry guys."

Nico rips the headset off and tosses it back to Bono.

Without another word, he turns on his heel and struts into the Mercedes garage like he owns the place.

He ignores all the looks he's getting and finds a place to sit.

There's no way he's gonna leave before he's seen with his own 2 eyes that Lewis is still in one piece.

~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~~

It takes way too long, at least according to Nico, before Lewis finally arrives at the garage with a marshal.

His seating place long forgotten, Nico had been pacing around, glaring at everyone who even dared to look at him like they were gonna say something.

When he heard exclamations of "Lewis!" from the mechanics, he immediately stopped pacing and swivelled around, looking towards the entrance.

His feet started to move on their own, pushing everyone aside. His hands reaching out, gripping Lewis' shoulders when he was in front of him.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

Lewis' head shoots up, he was staring down at the ground before, and he just stares at the man in front of him.

"Lewis. Answer me."

"I.... I'm fine."

Nico lets out a long, long breath, like a balloon deflating.

"Thank Gott."

And then... Then it gets awkward.

Nico finally realizes what he's doing. What he's done. He drops his hands off of Lewis' shoulders like they were burning him.

He just stands there, sheepishly, watching the cogs turn inside Lewis' head, his eyes widening a little bit every second.

"Nico, you---"

Nico breaks off the sentence.

"It was good to see you."

Then he slips out of the garage as fast as he came in, ignoring Lewis calling his name behind him.

This was as far as he was gonna let it get.