𝐢𝐢. 𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭

.。*゚+.*.。  .。*゚+.*.。

ii.
e f f e r v e s c e n t
vivacious and enthusiastic, often used to describe a person's lively and bubbly personality.

.。*゚+.*.。  .。*゚+.*.。

From the corner of your eye, you see Bokuto clutching his wrapped arm close to his chest, shivering from the loss of body heat and blood. You offer to pull over after the next stoplight to retrieve a blanket from the trunk, but he kindly declines, even though he clearly needs it.

After the next stoplight, you decide to pull over anyway. "You really don't need to."

"It's the least I can do," you reply before leaving your car and walking to the back, opening the trunk, grabbing the blanket, and locking it up. When you return to your seat, you carefully drape the fabric around his shoulders. "It's not much, but hopefully it'll help. Even if it's just a little bit."

Bokuto finds himself curling into the blanket, favouring his right side. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," you reply, the words weighing heavily on your tongue. Hearing him say thank you to you, especially after causing him all this trouble, only adds to your guilt.

You continue the long journey back into the city, your grip still tight on the steering wheel, and Bokuto still groaning weakly from the pain in his arm. You try to offer as much comfort as possible: you suggest he recline his seat if he wants to sleep, then you turn on the heat and offer him one of the water bottles sitting in the backseat.

He's grateful for your help, thanking you for each offer. The slight turns and bumps of the car eventually lull him, his whines and groans slowly getting quieter as he falls into slumber.

When you glance over, you find his eyes shut and his bare chest rising and falling with steady breaths. Both fresh and dried blood cover him and the sweater around his arm, but somehow, he's able to sleep through it all, perhaps because all the stress in his system has drained his energy. At least one of you can rest during the remainder of the journey to the hospital.

You hadn't realized how far you had driven until you had a bleeding boy in your passenger's seat in desperate need of a hospital. Being alone on what feels like uncharted roads felt liberating, but that therapeutic scene quickly turned into a nightmare.

Fields of rice and corn give way to factories and buildings after another hour of driving. More light on the highway and increased traffic indicate that you're getting closer to the city. It's fortunate that you decided to refuel before leaving your dorm tonight.

It leaves you wondering if these seemingly small details are mere coincidences, part of a grand plan orchestrated by some higher power, or if the world conspired for this very moment to avoid a greater catastrophe. You don't consider yourself superstitious, but Bokuto seems like the type to believe in such things, given his positive outlook even in this dire situation.

"What are you thinking about?" Bokuto asks groggily from his comfortable position in the passenger's seat.

You briefly glance at him, noticing that he's awake, before returning your focus to the highway ahead. "I was just thinking about how the world works," you chuckle, surprised at yourself for vocalizing your thoughts.

The topic piques his interest. "The world works in such mysterious ways, huh?" he remarks with a tone, making you raise a brow at him. "I like to believe that fate is a real thing. And you? Do you believe in fate?"