Chapter Twelve

Monday morning came fast. I woke up and got ready, and when I walked outside I was greeted by Isabelle and her million dollar car. I didn't put up a fight, because I didn't want to. I decided having Isabelle as a friend wasn't such a bad idea. Sebastian wasn't so terrible either. 

  The ride to school was filled with conversation, and for once, everything I said didn't feel forced. Having a friend that I could talk to like Isabelle was pretty great. 

  "I'm going to open my own bakery." I looked at Isabelle in shock, I imagined Isabelle several things, but a baker wasn't one of them. "I like decorating cakes and stuff." Isabelle said once she noticed my surprised expression. 

  With now just three weeks left of high school, I respected Isabelle for knowing what she wanted to do with her life. I decided not to tell her there is no point of her getting her hopes up for something that will probably never happen. I knew I would never be that successful, but maybe Isabelle would. 

  "What are you going to do when you graduate?" Isabelle asked. 

I knew this question would eventually come. Thankfully my answer didn't have to, because before I could say anything I heard the chime of my phone. I quickly dug in my book bag, until I reached the bottom and retrieved my phone. It was a text message from an unknown number, once I opened it I gasped at the three words that occupied my screen.

Hey it's Kev

"What is it?" Isabelle asked, trying to peer at my phone which caused her to swerve on the road.

"Watch the road. You know I'm going to tell you." I told her all about me and Sebastian's deal, and going to the diner, then meeting Kev. 

Isabelle let out a squeal, "Text him back! Text him back! Text him back right now!" It didn't surprise me that Isabelle was a hopeless romantic- complete opposite of me. Yes, Kev is cute, and he seems nice. But I refused to like him to save me the heart ache that was sure to come later. But Isabelle however didn't agree with this, "I bet  you and him are going to be so cute together!"

"You don't even know what he looks like."

"Yeah but-"

I let the rest of Isabelle's words fade, as I typed a reply to Kev that said, hey, What's up?

Almost instantly he replied, thinking about you, or is that cheezy?  It was definitely cheezy, but I decided I might like cheezy. 

The school day wasn't to unbearable, and receiving adorable texts from Kev all day didn't hurt either. I texted him back as quickly as I could without getting caught, but somehow he managed to reply instantly every time. 

By  History class, me and Kev we're in a full blown conversation about his family. Which involved him sending me a lot of long paragraphs telling me about pranks between him and his sister. I was laughing when Sebastian slid into the empty desk behind me.  

He peered over my shoulder to look at the screen of my phone, "Is that diner dude?"

"Yes it's Kev." I said as I quickly slid my phone into my back pocket. Thankfully the late bell rung before Sebastian could make a smart comment. "Aren't you going to sit with Sandra?" 

Almost as if she was on cue, Sandra turned around and grinned at Sebastian, "Sebastian get up here" she giggled. 

Sebastian sat back in his seat, and crossed his arms across his chest. "I'm going to sit back here with Sam, we have a lot of work to do on our project." I tried not to laugh at the pouting expression Sandra gave Sebastian before glaring at me for a moment.

Mr.Kyle finally stood up from his desk and said, "That is a good idea Mr.Weathers, I hope you and your partner are close to a conclusion." Taking his eyes off Sebastian and turning to the class, Mr.Kyle said, "Remember everyone, projects will be presented Friday. Also keep in mind it is worth a significant percent of your final grade."  

Sebastian leaned forward in hi desk to whisper in my ear, "So I'll be coming over after school." We both knew he wasn't asking.

During class, I struggled to take my notes and respond to Kev's text messages. It didn't help that every time I took my phone out, Sebastian threatened to tell the teacher. I knew he was playing, but I didn't want to take my chances. I was relieved when the lunch bell rang and I could have my phone out with no consequences,before I packed up my things, I sent a quick message to Kev. 

"You must really like him, huh?" Sebastian said. He hadn't moved since the bell, his books were still laying on his desk and his book bag was in the floor.

I ignored his question and continued to pack up my belongings. I heard Sebastian stand up behind me and zip up his book bag. I didn't speak to him until I felt my phone being taken out my back pocket. "Hey, give that back!" I protested, reaching to grab it out of is hands. Of course he seen it coming, he lifted his arms over his head, just out of my reach.

"If you two plan on continuing to rough house, please do so outside of my classroom." I jumped, I had completely forgotten Mr.Kyle hadn't left yet.

I thought about telling him that Sebastian had my phone, but instead I calmly put my book bag on, and headed out the class room. I heard Sebastian emerge from the class behind me . I ignored him, deciding not to give him the satisfaction of seeing me struggle, I kept up my act all the way down the now deserted hallways. 

Then I heard my phone go off, it took everything I had to not turn around. But apparently all I had wasn't enough. I looked at Sebastian who was smirking as he read my message out loud, "I would definitely drop more money to be able to talk to you again." Sebastian's smirk didn't bother me. Him reading my message didn't bother me either. But him laughing at something, that actually made me happy really got to  me and I couldn't help it. In just a few moments, I managed to drop my book bag and jump on his back, wrestling him to get to my phone. 

I could tell Sebastian was trying to be gentle, but due to my anger and desperation to retrieve my phone, being gentle was the least of my worries.  About thirty seconds into our little tussle, we were stopped by a stern voice that said, "Cut that out right now."

I instantly dropped my hands to my sides, and wasn't surprised to see Sebastian doing the same thing, with my phone in the hand that was furthest away from me. In front of us stood Coach Raleigh.

I was hoping Coach Raleigh would take it easy on me, because she had never had any problem out of me before. But watching her silently stand there with her arms crossed, I began to lose all hope. 

After looking Sebastian and I up and down a few times, she finally spoke, "You know, I could have you both kicked out of school for ten days." She spoke slowly as if she were considering her options. 

"But?" Sebastian sighed. Consequences probably didn't mean anything to him. I wanted to punch him. 

"But, if I suspend you then Sam won't be able to participate in our track meet this weekend."

I knew Sebastian didn't understand, I never told him that Coach Raleigh asked me to fill in for one of her girls at their final track meet because she seen me running better than I usually did. I probably didn't inform Sebastian of this because he was the reason I was running so well. 

"I never agreed to it." 

Sebastian nudged me, but quickly backed up once he noticed the death stare he was receiving from Coach.

"If you weren't going to be attending the meet, then I guess you don't need to be at school." This was so wrong, and Coach Raleigh knew it but she wasn't backing down. "Before you say anything, I know your thinking this is blackmail. But it's not. I'm a strong believer in returning a favor with a favor.

Coach Raleigh didn't take her eyes off me, and I could feel Sebastian's eyes burning holes in my back. I sighed.

"Great, I'll see you Saturday. Eight am."