Chapter Six

I walk into an empty house. It's not surprising, my mom usually gets home around five. It was three thirty now. Sebastian gets here at six.

Sebastian. I told myself over and over that I hate Sebastian. But if that we're true, then why did I smile when Isabelle told me that he talks about me? And why did the whole ride home consist of me waiting for Isabelle to bring up Sebastian, so I could ask about him?

I don't want to think about Sebastian, I also don't want him coming over here. I want to spend my night watching movies and eating my moms "secret" stash of chocolates. I look at the clock, 4:04.

If I had Sebastian's number, I would text him and tell him he can't come over. Unfortunately, I don't. So my only options are to wait around until six and deal with him, or walk to his house and tell him in person.

I feel this weird sensation in my stomach, and realize I'm nervous. I can't possibly be nervous about Sebastian Weathers. I hate him.

Thankfully, I've been lost in my thoughts since I got home, so I still had my shoes and jacket on. I walk out the door , and cut across the grass to Sebastian's house. I march up his porch steps attempting to turn my nervousness, into confidence. Which was definitely something new to me.

I get to his door and think to myself, What am I doing? Before knocking, I turn around and go back the way I came.

Once I'm inside my house, I take off my shoes and jacket and leave them by the front door. I walk into the kitchen and inspect the cabinets, in search of a snack.

There once was a time, when I walked into the house my Mother stood at the front door waiting for my sister Coleen and I. There would be a snack waiting for us to hold us until dinner, and we would do our homework at the kitchen table. Then my Father would get off work, everyday he got home he would come straight to the kitchen where the rest of us would be. My Mother would cook dinner every night for us, with an occasional dinner out.My parents would ask about Coleen and my day, and listen to us talk forever because they actually cared about what we had to say. And at night my Mother and Father would come to our rooms to say goodnight. We were a perfect family, even when Coleen graduated we were perfect. Then Coleen went to collage.

I'm not really sure what started the arguments, weather it was about Coleen or something else. I'm also unsure when we started worrying about money. But we did. My Mother and Father tried to hide the fact they were arguing, mostly for my sake. But I could see it.

Anytime I came near, whispering stopped and they wore nothing but fake smiles.

After the affair, my parents didn't even bother trying to hide the fact they were arguing. Most of my nights were spent covering my ears, praying for it to stop. And the day they told me about their divorce, was almost a relief. Because I knew that meant there would be no more arguing.

My Father sat me and Coleen down alone and asked if we wanted to stay with him in Colorado because my Mother decided we were moving to North Carolina to be closer to her family. I understand now, why my Mother wanted to be close to her family at the time. Divorcing the man you've been married to for twenty three years is not something you want to face alone. I somewhat understood that then, and that's why I decided to move with my mother. Leaving my father behind.

Coleen being twenty two, and not having anywhere else to stay, decided to stay with my dad. After a few months she got her job at the video store and was able to move into the apartment she still lives in today.

But for those first few months, I seen my Mother like I had never seen her before. Depressed. Not knowing what to do with her life. At the time, I thought it was all my Fathers fault. And I hated it for that. Eventually I blamed him for everything that went wrong, and I told him how I felt. And because of that, now when Coleen comes and visits, my Father passes a message through her telling us "Hello."

It's amazing how much our lives have changed in a few short years, but this is my life now. Sitting in this empty house, waiting on my Mother to get off work only to go back at four in the morning. This is my life.

------------------------------------------------------

When the doorbell rings it's only 4:36. So I didn't know who to expect. When I open the door, on the other side stands Sebastian.

"So here's the thing." Sebastian starts, not giving me a chance to say anything, or process his presence. "I have a thing at six."

I just look at him.

"So are you gonna let me in Giant? Or are you stuck?"

God I hate him. Him and his floppy hair, that must be impossible to see with because it acts as a curtain for his eyes. Him and his green eyes I see when he flips that floppy hair I hate. And most of all I hate that stupid smirk he constantly has.

"Hello? Can you hear me up there?"

I roll my eyes. "Go home Sebastian."

"Let's just skip this whole conversation, and just let me in."

"No."

"Don't make me do this." He crosses his arms , and attempts to stand taller, trying to look intimidating.

"Excuse me?"

"Are you going to move?" He flips his hair, revealing his green eyes. "Or do I have to move you."

I go to shut the door but he puts his foot in the way. He pushes it open, as I try my hardest to keep it shut. And in one swift movement, he picks me up, slings me over his shoulder and kicks the door closed. Which I find surprising he did it so easily, considering he's only a few inches taller than me.

As he carries me to the living room, I decide not to give him the satisfaction of kicking and screaming. So I just lay there over his shoulder completely limp and without sound.

"I should of known you wouldn't put up a fight." He muttered as he put me back on the ground, in front of the couch.

I sit down and cross my arms. After a few moments I ask, "Whats that supposed to mean?"

He sits in the arm chair directly in front of me and laughs.

"What?"

"I'm pretty sure everyone knows that Samantha Hall doesn't defend anything." He looked straight at me, "Not even herself."

"Wow, you know my actual name." I said looking right past him because I knew that it came out sounding rude. But I wasn't trying to be smart, I was honestly surprised.

"Of course I do." When I looked at Sebastian, I was surprised to see him looking straight at me. With a look I cant quite describe as anything.

"Okay."

"Samantha, why do you act like that?"

"Act like what?"

"Like you don't care about anything."

"Because I don't."

"Why?"

"Because why should I?"

"There has to be something you care about."

"Your right." I smile, "I care about finishing this project."

"Come on Giant just talk to me." He smiles back.

"Why should I?"

"Because it's about time you talked to somebody." There was nothing mean about the way he was speaking, so I didn't take offense.

"Oh."

"Well here's my theory." He clears his throat, like what he's about to say will take a while, "I think that you claim you don't care because you don't care."

"That's exactly what I-"

"But, I think you don''t care because you haven't been given a reason to. But you haven't had the opportunity, to have a reason because you haven't lived."

"Okay."

"So what I'm trying to say is, I'm going to show you how to live." Then he smiled, like it was the greatest thing he's ever said.