The Wailing of Wolves

Ava and Lilah were ushered from the room, and Grandma Mira slouched into her seat with a heavy sigh. 

"Welcome home, ladybug." Her voice was both sorrowful and wistful at the same time, and I felt a pulse of panic as I watched her through the corner of my eye. She smiled at me so evenly, and I couldn't help the feeling of hope that blossomed in my chest.

"The pulse, when you pet me. That's how you know, isn't it?" I flicked my ears softly, the language of magic a soft purr rumbling in my chest.

"It is." She opened her arms to me, and I climbed into them happily. "I saw what happened, dear. And I am so sorry that I couldn't help you. Your mother..." her voice trailed off, her sadness echoing in the silence. I knew that they'd had a falling out when I was younger, not long after my first awakening ceremony. I didn't know what it was about, but I also wasn't about to ask. 

"So, what now?"  I tried to keep my voice even, but the wavering was unmistakable. 

"Arabella!" She walked into the foyer, stroking my head. "Convene the council!" 

We walked down an old hall, one that the children had always been forbidden to enter. I couldn't help that feeling of wrongness that settled in my stomach as Grandma Mira brought me into the Council Chamber. 

It was a very large room, lined with braziers and sconces, and a quick glance around revealed that there were no electrical lights at all. There was a grand chandelier hanging above a large round table. The table was covered in a deep sapphire blue cloth, bowls of herbs and a plethora of candles. I blinked a few times, before turning my head up to my grandmother.

"The Council Chamber has an altar?" She smiled at me, setting me on the edge of the table as the six Elders entered the hall, along with four other women I had never seen before.

"Welcome, Elder Council." Grandma Mira smiled as she bowed her head to the ten women.

"Merry meet, Matriarch Mirabelle." The ten women spoke in harmony, bowing their heads in return. 

"May we know the identity of this child, Mirabelle?" One of the women stepped forward, motioning to me, her blond hair braided wonderfully into a delicate crown.

"Of course, Arabella." Grandma touched my head softly. "But she will introduce herself." 

"Greetings, Elder Council." I bowed my head, my tail curling over my paws. "My name is Elissa." I swallowed softly when Grandma Mira clicked her tongue slightly. "My name is Elissa Hart."

There was a wave of gasps, and the Elders began murmuring amongst themselves. "How is that possible? You are a cat." 

"Come now Sophia, surely an Elder would not dismiss the range of magic?" Grandma Mira chided playfully.

"Of course not, Mirabelle, but a member of the Hart family with a transformation ability? It's completely unheard of." Elder Sophia shook her head slightly.

"Well, Elissa, would you demonstrate?" Grandma Mira smiled playfully. I huffed slightly, hopping off the altar table.

"As you wish, Matriarch." There was another wave of murmuring, this time doubt evident in their voices. I stepped to the side, and let the magic wash over me. It was stronger than normal, the rush of magic making my head feel light. I could vaguely hear astonished voices, followed by cracking and the Elders screaming. I finished the transformation, unsteady on my feet, and reached blindly for the wall as my eyes blurred. A strong arm grabbed me as I lost my balance, breathing heavily. I blinked rapidly, shaking my head as I looked around, coughing as dust filled my lungs. I stopped in shock as I looked around. The entire Council Chamber was in ruins, bits of stone and plaster raining down from above me. The arm around me dragged me from the room, both of us coughing violently.

"What the hell was that?!" One of the Elders stared at me in abject horror as I was deposited on the floor, my back against the wall.

"I don't know." I managed, rubbing my face. "That's never happened before."

"You destroyed all of our wards!" Sophia shot toward me angrily, stopping with a jolt as a pair of booted feet stepped between us.

"You will calm yourself, Elder Sophia, or you will die." I felt a soft hand touch my head. "The Child of the Forest will not be harmed."

I took a deep breath, looking up to see Alex, his muscles flexing for a fight.

"Alex?" My voice was stronger now, more steady now that the heady sensation of magic had begun to subside. "What are you doing here?" 

"I called him." Grandma Mira walked over, patting his shoulder. "I thought he might be able to help with the investigation." 

I nodded, shrugging slightly. I stood shakily, bracing myself against the wall. "So, why did that happen?" I pointed at the ruins of the Council Chamber.

"Your magic must have been amplified by the runes in the Chamber. It's common. But that level of destruction is something we haven't seen before." She rubbed her chin thoughtfully.

Alex looked at me nervously, and I smiled weekly, motioning for him to go ahead.

"She's done worse. Without the power wards." The whole Council froze, staring at him in disbelief. "She summoned an entire forest of creatures to attack the pack that kept patronizing mine, and nearly blew up the pack house just getting angry. She wasn't even trying to use magic that time." He rubbed his neck nervously, like he was afraid he was leading me to the hangman's noose.

"She's a Primal?" One of the Elders stepped forward, a look of awe as she watched me.

I leaned my head back against the wall, wincing as the bright red string of magic lit up from my chest, a burning feeling enveloping me. I managed to stifle the screaming, the sound coming out as little more than a whimper as my legs threatened to give way. He's close. Very close.

"Ladybug. I know that this won't be what you expected, but while the Council and I rebuild the Chamber, I want you to go somewhere." Her face was tight, apparently the idea of me out of her sight leaving a bad taste in her mouth.

"There's a forest about ten miles out, I want you to go there. Follow the path that your magic leads you on. You will find answers there." She frowned, brushing the back of her hand one my cheek. "It is good to see you, ladybug, and we can talk more when you come back."

She ushered me toward the door at the end of the hall. "Make sure that none of the family sees you before you come back."

I nodded hesitantly, turning toward the end of the hall. "I love you Grandma." I smiled warmly before leaving. 

I slipped through the door, peaking around corners before darting through the rose maze that had been tended meticulously. I used to spend hours in the maze, and I followed the familiar pathway with ease. When I got to the center I smiled, the fountain was still the same; a beautiful woman carved of marble, with diamonds embedded in a crown of golden stars, holding a crescent moon above her head, the water flowing over her crown and hair, following the folds of her gown to the pool at the base. Grandma Mira had it made as a custom order, from a dream I had told her about as a child.

I shifted into a finch; the ten miles would be much easier as a bird. 

It was five minutes to the property line. As I flew over the edge of the property, I saw him. Orion, the midnight black wolf. The red string between us reverberated with magic in such a forceful way that I faltered, shifting back into a human form, blind panic flooding my senses. I braced myself for the landing, expecting at least two broken bones, but what met me instead was a firm warmth and a soft grunt.

"I didn't expect the term "falling for someone" to be so literal." His voice was deeper than it had seemed in the dream, and I felt myself shiver involuntarily. I opened my eyes hesitantly.

"Neither did I."

"My name is-" A volley of wolf howls cut him off, and he growled softly as he set me down. "Any chance you've got a form that can keep up with me?" He smirked down at me, but I just smiled back sadly, stepping away from him. His brows furrowed as he tried to reach for me.

"I'm sorry." I ran, shifting mid-stride into a hawk, soaring into the clouds as his wolf cried below me, begging me to return.