𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫

brown guilty eyes and little white lies

ponyboy was in the library studying, cherry walked inside the library as well. when she walked in, she began to look around to find ponyboy, and once she found him, she sat on a chair next to him.

"hi ponyboy" she whispered with a small smile. "hi" he nodded, then went back to studying. "so how's it been?" she asked. "it's been okay" he replied without making any eye contact with her.

"so are you going to prom tonight?" she asked. "yeah, i'm going with my friends" he nodded. "that's cool, i was wondering if you wanted to go to prom as friends too" she said with a nervous laugh. "i don't think so cherry, you have bob" he said bitterly.

"well i'm getting really tired of bob. and besides ponyboy, didn't you try asking me out once? what happened to the old ponyboy? the sweet and smart ponyboy i met at the beginning of the school year?" she asked with a sad voice.

"cherry i asked you out because i liked you at the time, but after buck's party, i realized i only liked you because you were beautiful and i thought we'd have a lot in common. but i then i see the real you and you think everything is about you and you'd probably play with my feelings anyway since i'm a greaser" ponyboy said, then stormed off. cherry watched with a sad face as he stormed off.

it was after school hours, mr. valance was exercising out on the patio. he was somewhat struggling because he was getting older and he hadn't exercised in a long while.

"seven!" mr. valance grunted, stopping to catch his breath. he stood up as cherry walked out to the patio. "daddy?" she called. "hi sherri" he said. "i want to discuss tomorrow night. as you know there's prom..." she trailed off.

"prom? maeve has a date?" he asked. "well no" she shook her head. "don’t be thinking that you're fooling me for a second. i know you wanna bend the rules. it's that hot rod bob isn't it?" he asked.

"what's a hot rod?" she asked, raising a brow. "it's a.." mr. valance began, then changed the topic. "if maeve's not going then you're not going. end of story" he said. "okay let's review shall we? maeve: not interested. me: dying to go" she said.

"you know what happens at proms?" he asked. "yes daddy. we'll dance, we'll kiss and we'll come home. it's not quite the situation you make up in your head" she groaned with an eye roll.

"kissing huh? is that what you think actually happens? i got news for you, kissing isn't what keeps me up to my elbows in placenta all day long" he said.

"daddy, can we just for two seconds ignore the fact that you're a crazy man and discuss my need for a night to be a normal teenager?" she asked. "normal? those damn greaser kids sleeping in each other's beds and whatnot?" he asked with a sarcastic laugh.

"daddy that is so not.." she sighed. "got news for ya sherri.  i’m down.  i’ve got the 411. and you are not going out and getting jiggy with some boy who might have some disease.  i don’t care how dope his ride is" he said, trying to sound like a cool dad. cherry groaned and left.

"my mama didn't raise no fool" he said to himself.

cherry laid down on her bed and watched tv, until maeve knocked on the door. "come in" she said annoyed. maeve walked in. "listen i know..." she began until she realized that cherry wasn't listening to her, so she turned off the tv.

"listen i know you hate having to sit at home because i don't wanna go to prom" maeve said kindly. "like you care" cherry rolled her eyes. "i do care, i really do. but i'm a firm believer in doing something for your own reasons and not someone else's" maeve said.