𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

【I had the shiniest wheels, now they're rusting - this is me trying

【I had the shiniest wheels, now they're rusting - this is me trying】

"We're on the home stretch. Final round of the girls under 18's" I heard the commentator say, as me, Bodhi, Ari, and Marlon, were waiting for the girls to paddle in. A smile started forming on my face as Poppy caught the first wave.

"Poppy Tetanui ripping here. Very solid start" One of the commentators said as Poppy was doing the second turn of the wave.

"Go Poppy" I screamed, taking both of my hands close to my mouth, and continuing with a few claps when Poppy was done with her wave. Wren followed with the second wave, leaving the other two girls last. 

"And Radic answers! This young import could be a huge asset to team Victoria" The commentator finished as Wren was done her first wave. Ari and Bodhi started cheering for her, while me and Marlon were studying her moves. 

"Let's go, Wren" Ari cheered, and seconds after Manu playfully slapped him on the neck, I let a light chuckle escape, as I looked at them and shook my head. "Sorry coach, I'm going for both of them" which Manu responded to with a light tilt of his head and a rise of his eyebrows.

"Could that idiot please clear the pool" A commentator yelled, which made all five of us pay extra attention to what was happening as the girls waited for their last wave, I squinted my eyes so I could try and see better what was going on, seconds after, noticing that Summer just jumped in the pool. Why would Summer do that? She's going to ruin Wren's last wave. I took my hand to my face in desperation, accidentally slapping myself. Has she lost her mind? That's a stupid question, Of course she has! it's Summer after all, this is not that out of character of her, why am I even surprised. 

"I repeat, the pool invader get out of the comp zone?" The commentator said as Summer was paddling to get the wave. She did some turns, and I couldn't believe how good she was, I looked at the others so I could read their expressions. I couldn't help being surprised, Summer Torres never stops surprising you. 

"Whoo! Yes, Summer!" Bodhi cheered, as she was clapping for her, and so did Marlon. I still couldn't believe what she did and how good she got, I'm proud of her for achieving so much in such short time. I ran my hand through my hair as she finished her wave, and started clapping slowly as a light smile started appearing on my face. The girls started walking out of the water and towards us, Summer and Poppy came over to me, water dripping down their hair. 

"So much better that New York" Summer said, with a wide smile on her face, clearly she was proud of herself. Why wouldn't she be? She got what she wanted.

"Seriously, why would you do that" I told her, putting my hands on my hips, and really looking into her dark eyes, as Poppy was walking to my side. 

"You have to admit it was good" She said back as she walked away, smiling at me, I rolled my eyes lightly, as I hugged Poppy. 

"After a day of highs, lows and at least one really weird moment" The commentator said, saying the last part with surprise. "the selectors are tallying the scores and putting their heads together. In a few short hours we'll know who's on the team and headed to the biggest junior comp of the year, the Nationals." I couldn't help biting the insides of my lip, I can feel the anxiousness traveling around my body, my head is really not my best friend right now. I close my eyes, and take a few deep breaths before heading home. Whatever happens tonight, will define the rest of my season. 

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

I headed to my house as fast as I could, since me and the rest of the club were going to Ari's place, for the state team announcement. As I was driving, my hands wouldn't stop shaking. I'm terrified, and there's nothing that can make it better, I've tried everything to try and make my anxiety better over the years, the only thing that has worked are my pills, and I'm not even allowed to take them anymore.  I parked rapidly, and headed to the yard, where most of the people were already sitting. 

"Have you guys heard anything?" Poppy said, refreshing her phone over and over again, as she was walking towards the table were me, Bodhi, Honey, and Summer were at. "It's, like, just name the state team already"

"You're pushing me" Wren told her brother loudly as they were walking in, he chuckles quietly. 

"Wait, I know that guy" Summer says over to me.

"Wren's brother Baxter. He's a pyro, so you guys should get along" I said, as I was looking over at him. I couldn't stop staring, I never could. It's like he has a weird magnetic force, that makes my eyes not want to look away. I've had a few interactions with him, and they were all a complete mess, he just makes me so nervous, with his big deep eyes, the pink hair, and all the musclehe has. He's pretty much perfect looking. I wish he would notice me. 

"Excuse me?" Summer responded, taking me out of my trance. 

"Apparently after Nationals last year at Carvers Bay, Baxter burnt down the Boardriders Clubhouse." Bodhi told her, as I was looking over at him. And I wasn't the only one, we all were. 

"And he got kicked off the Queensland team and they moved down here" Poppy added.

"Pretty rough for Wren" Bodhi said, looking at all of us, noticing I was still looking over at Baxter. I shook my head lightly, and ran a hand through my hair as I smiled at her. 

"Well, he's supper helpful" Summer added in a weird tone, which I couldn't tell were was coming from. 

I was sitting next to the fire attempting to hold a conversation with Baxter as Marlon came up to us. 

"Ooh, I see, you're getting to know miss celery" Marlon told Baxter as he walked towards us with his hands in his pockets. 

"Shut up, Marlon" I responded, with an annoyed look on my face, as I leaned back to the couch, hugging myself since it was getting a little cold. "Can't you go hang with the rest? I'm pretty sure you would have so much more fun with them than wi-" 

"No it's okay, he can join us" Baxter said, cutting me off, doing a hand gesture for Marlon to come sit. My cheeks turned a little red, because of embarrassment. I was having an interesting conversation with him right? I asked about the comp today, and what he does before comps, and what music he likes listening to. That's good right? I mean I would love it if someone asked me those questions. 

"What were you guys talking about?" Marlon asked, and I was about to answer with a big amount of sarcasm, when a notification interrupted me. I quickly grabbed my phone, as I heard everyone else screaming and laughing. When the page finally loaded, I was caught with the surprise that I didn't make it into the state team.