𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

【 Cat and mouse for a month or two or three - Paper rings

【 Cat and mouse for a month or two or three - Paper rings 】

"It's a beautiful day here at the wave pool" I heard one of the commentators say as I was telling to Bodhi how nervous I am, after all, they'll decide today who makes it to the state team.

"Please, Cece, relax, you always do great, just have fun" she said as she smiled, putting one of her hands in each of my shoulders "Me and Poppy will be proud of you no matter what, you know that right?" 

"Yes i know, but these scores will determine if I make it to the state team or not" I said a little agitated. "You know how important this is to me, I don't want to disappoint my mom" I finished, biting the insides of my lip, holding back tears.

"You won't disappoint anyone today" she said, wiping my tears away. I started looking around trying to distract myself, when I see Poppy heading towards us. 

"How was your drive?" Bodhi said, going in for a hug. 

"I am the freeway queen," Poppy answered, pulling away and putting one hand on her hip, with a light grin on her face. "Although Manu probably wouldn't agree, but... How are you feeling?" she asked me shaking her head lightly, with a concerned look on her face, I could tell from before she was reading the expression on my face. 

"I'm so nervous, I'm literally gonna vomit."  I said back.

"Yeah, me too" she said, with a light chuckle. "It's alright" they both were coming in for a hug, when a familiar voice interrupted us.

"Attention, Poppy Tetanui, Cecily Powers, and Bodhi Mercer. Your pizza is ready." There was a light pause, and we started looking around, looking for the girl we haven't seen in over a year. "I repeat, your pizza is ready. And Marlon Sousa, could you wear a shirt for once?" we three laughed at the same time. I raised my eyebrows and rolled my eyes lightly, as a smile started forming on my face. We were still trying to find Summer, and a few seconds after, we couldn't be more surprise of seeing such a familiar face.

"Summer?!" Poppy yelled when she saw the black haired girl, and we couldn't help running up to her. Poppy went right in for a hug and so did Bodhi and I, we weren't able to stop smiling. 

"I got you so good" was the first thing summer said, with a big smile on her face, iI don't think any of us could believe she was back.

"America?" I heard Marlon say, while he was walking up towards us. I couldn't help rolling my eyes a little, I think he would've done the same thing. 

"Brazil! What's up?" Summer answered, hugging Marlon swiftly. 

"Could everyone clear the water please" a commentator said as we were catching up on over the surface things with Summer.

I started walking towards my things, since I had to get ready, when a blonde girl ran into me by accident. 

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry Cece" the blonde said, taking her hand to her mouth in surprise.

"Oh it's okay Wren, don't worry" I responded, looking back at my friends as I started walking, coming across Summer's and Ari's smiles, that explains why Wren ran into me. 

I was getting my things ready, since the comp was about to start. I put my headphones in and started listening to music. 

"Under 18's, this is your 15 minute warning" I heard a distant voice say.

I started looking around my bag for my wax, which ended up on me with all of my stuff scattered around the ground, and no wax, I sighed with desperation, it's obvious today it's not going to be my day, as I'm about to give up and ask Poppy if I can borrow her's, I hear the person who I less want to talk to right now, talking to me.

"Oh sorry, celery, are you looking for this?" Marlon says holding up my wax, trying to hold a laugh. 

"Yes, thanks" I say rolling my eyes and taking it from his hand. "Can you leave already, I'm trying to get ready" I sigh, kneeling down and starting to wax my board. "And don't  call me celery" I say between my teeth.

"Sorry, what did you say" He replied, tilting his head lightly. "Do you want me to call you celery? Sure totally, that's great actually, I'll do it with pleasure" He said with a sarcastic tone.

"Please leave me alone" I said not being able to not snap anymore. "I don't know about you but this is important to me. I need to focus, so I can hopefully make it to the state team, so please leave me alone" I didn't realize how close I got to him, but he definitely did. 

"As you wish, celery" he said, putting his hands up and walking away. 

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

"Here we go, by the end of today, four girls and four boys will be selected for the state team." a commentator said, as I was paddling into the end of the wave pool. I started looking at the other 3 girls, Bodhi being one of them, as i was waiting for a wave to form. I turned around and started paddling, I took the first wave of the heat. 

"Every competitor only gets two waves, best score counts." one of the commentators said as I was attempting to do a 360. I was shaking a little because of how nervous i was, which made my foot slip of the pad, and ended up on me falling seconds before finishing the wave.

As I was grabbing my board angrily, the commentators stared talking about the fall. "And just like that, a simple mistake will cost you big time." As I got back on my board and started paddling again, I was trying my hardest to hold back my tears, I couldn't believe I made such a stupid mistake in such an important comp. 

I started paddling out, since the heat was over. Some tears came out after that fall, but I still think I did pretty good on my second wave. Poppy ran over to me and hugged me tightly. I could feel the teardrops running down my face and landing on Poppy's arm. "It's okay, Cece. You did amazing you should be proud of yourself" she whispered.

"I still messed up pretty badly on that first wave" I said pulling away, and really studying her face now. 

"Not doing very good today, Powers" said Marlon, who walked over with Manu, who bumped his arm into him in response.

"Cecily, you did pretty good on that second wave, you still have a chance to make the state team" Manu said, placing a hand on my shoulder as an encouragement.

"I still messed up though, what if they don't want me" I responded, sadness showing in my voice

"Then they're all idiots" Poppy said, putting her arm around me and tilting her head towards me, and I couldn't be more grateful of having her as a friend.