"I guess I grieve...anytime I'm on a horse," Kayce cleared his throat. "Lee was the best rider I knew and that's what I loved to do with him most growing up was ride."

"You two would go so fast I thought you'd fly off your horses," Alex smiled. "Scared me, but I knew the two of you were the only ones who could."

"Yeah, he was a good older brother," Kayce nodded. "But I guess that's how I also remember him...every time I ride, he's sort of...with me."

"Can I ask you something personal?" Alex stepped closer to Kayce, feeling like she needed to lower her voice.

"Think we're a bit past that, don't you think?" Kayce smirked.

"I guess," Alex felt her cheeks warm.

"What is it?" Kayce asked.

"Did Lee...um did he say anything that night?" Alex swallowed. "B-Before he died?"

Kayce frowned and tilted his head to the side.

"He did...said I was a man now," Kayce glanced down. "He didn't...it was quick, thankfully."

Alex nodded her head, feeling tears come to her eyes at the thought. Her mind then went to the other part of Kayce's story of that night.

"What about Robert Long?" Alex asked. "Did he say anything that night?"

Kayce looked like he was almost in pain at the memory.

"No," Kayce shook his head and when Alex looked surprised he continued. "Didn't give him a chance to."

"What about Monica?" Alex knew she was treading on thin ice now but she did have questions and right now, Kayce seemed to be answering them. "What did she say when you told her?"

"She found out. I didn't tell her," Kayce sighed. "When she was at the hospital, she got enough information from the chief and put it together."

"Rainwater?" Alex asked. "He told her?"

"Yeah," Kayce nodded. "Came to see her when she was there."

Alex frowned. Chief Rainwater was not her favorite person on the reservation.

"I wouldn't put it past him if that was his goal all along," Alex muttered and Kayce looked at her confused. "He's had a bullseye on John Dutton since he was born."

"He can get in line with the rest," Kayce rolled his eyes, leaning his back now on the dresser.

"Just how long do you think this line can get?" Alex asked.

"Knowing my father, he'd go until the end of time protecting this place," Kayce sighed, putting his hands in his pockets. "Speaking of Dad...I wanted to tell you something."

"What's that?" Alex asked.

"He uh...wants me to be Livestock Commissioner," Kayce waited for Alex to respond.

"What?" Alex crossed her arms.

"Told me this morning when the governor visited him when we were out working," Kayce nodded.

"Livestock Commissioner of...the State?" Alex wanted to make sure she was following.

"Yeah," Kayce looked at her. "Is there another one I don't know about?"

"What did you say?" Alex asked.

"That if I did, I'd have to do it my way," Kayce sighed. "I'm not like him...I wouldn't hold the office for politics, I'd do it for the people."

"You really think your father wouldn't be involved?" Alex tilted her head.

"He's got a lot on his plate right now," Kayce shrugged. "Not saying he won't, but I could probably get a head start on it."