When he crouched down to take a further look, EJ joined him, and his eyes opened wide. Rose shook her head. "It can't be." She was staring out of the window. "That's the outer hull of the ship. Look!"

"No, but it is." EJ grinned as he saw the interior of a bedroom, old fashioned, yet somehow still young.

Then, a girl crouched down. She couldn't have been older than eight. The Doctor smiled at her. "Hello."

She replied. "Hello."

"What's your name?"

"Reinette."

The Doctor seemed to grin. "Reinette? That's a lovely name."

"It is." EJ nodded in agreement. "It's beautiful."

He waited a moment before speaking again. "Can you tell me where you are at the moment, Reinette?"

"In my bedroom."

"Where's your bedroom?" He asked- the questions were oddly specific, and EJ was surprised that the girl was answering. "Where do you live, Reinette?"

The girl, Reinette, hardly reacted. "Paris, of course."

  "Paris! Right..."

  "Monseiur," She asked, softly, not wanting to intrude. "What are you doing in my fireplace?"

  "Oh, just a routine... fire check." The words came out before he could rectify his excuse. "Can you tell me what year it is?"

  "Of course I can. 1727!"

  "Right, lovely, one of my favourites. August is rubbish though: stay indoors. Okay, that's all for now, thanks for your help. Hope you enjoy the rest of the fire. Night night."

  She smiled at him politely. "Good night, monseiur."

  When they all stood up, Mickey was quick to accuse him. "You said this was the 51st Century."

  "I also said this ship was generating enough power to punch a hole in the universe." The Doctor countered. "I think we just found the hole. Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."

"What's that?"

"No idea, just made it up." He shrugged, pulling at his ear. "Didn't want to say magic door."

"And on the other side of the... magic door, it's France in 1727?" Rose almost laughed at the possibility.

"Well, she was speaking French. Right period French too." The Doctor began, throwing his jacket away as he paced.

Mickey shook his head. "She was speaking English, I heard her."

"That's the Tardis." Rose replied, wrapping an arm around his necks, like she was going to kiss his cheek. "Translates for you."

"Even French?"

"Yep!"

EJ grumbled as he picked the Doctor's coat up from the ground. "Especially French."

He began to fumble around with the fireplace, running over to stand on it, when something clicked. "Gotcha!"

"Doctor!" Rose squealed.

As the fireplace turned in its place, swapping with the original from the other side, EJ felt his heart stop in its box. The Doctor was completely out of sight, and it made him worry. If something happened to him, it was possible he would never know.

In the ten minutes that the Doctor was gone, EJ was able to look around the ship for the first time. It was nothing short of a complete mess. Things were torn up, wires exposed, and strewn in every direction. This would never pass a health and safety inspection; he was aware of that much.