He had himself, and he had Mighty, and that was enough.

It was almost twilight by the time he reached home - he'd have to be quick. No one wanted to be stuck outside when it grew dark, even on a clear night like tonight. The chances of getting lost just became that much higher, the chances of freezing to death rising as well. Even if Mighty could carry him home without a light, he still didn't want to take the risk. Bears were in the woods, more than willing to risk it against a ram and a pregnant omega for an easy meal. Izuku hadn't come this far alone to die this close to the end for some gods-be-damned meat.

A quick trip to the town with the jar of honey he'd been saving since last spring should get him enough for a few days, maybe a week, if he pulled the alone card. Enough to keep him home, warm, and off his aching, swollen feet until he could figure out something else he could trade, or at least until he had the energy to attempt a hunt again. He was running low on things he could pawn, as much as it hurt to see the growing empty space in the home the- he'd spent so much time building. But survival came first.

Izuku was almost at his door when he realized light was flickering from his home, from the crack under the door. He'd banked the fire, had ensured all the lanterns were closed, had pulled and tacked the heavy curtains over the closed window shutters - it wasn't a light left by him. An intruder. Not Todoroki, Ochoko, or Hitoshi; no, their animals would have met him by now, would have been sprawled on the front porch, or poked their heads out of a window at his approach. Chiyo, Toshinori, or Aizawa would have waited for him, not just gone ahead. His mother?

A quick sniff of the air around the door showed no smell other than his own. Scent blockers.

Danger.

Izuku slid his bow and quiver from his back, considering it for a moment. Tight spaces, easy to dodge if the intruder was waiting for him - it would take him a moment to grab and notch a new arrow if he missed, if another kick took him by surprise. His dagger, then. He'd have to get in close, but a quick slice to the throat, or to the inside of their thigh, or their arm if he could, and he'd be ok. They'd be ok.

"Please be good for me, my love," Izuku whispered quietly, rubbing his hand over his stomach, a silent prayer to the gods for luck to be on his side. He knew he wasn't their favorite, never had been, but to survive this encounter was all he asked.

A deep breath and Izuku pushed open the door.

The fire blazed in its hearth, evidence that whoever had intruded upon his home had been there for a long time already, hours perhaps. It was long enough to find whatever they'd been looking for and take it if they were some ordinary intruder. If they were some simple thief looking for copper or the odd silver to steal, for family gems that might be hidden in some dark corner, for whatever Izuku had managed to carve from the earth and turn into his. For whatever could be stolen and sold and not traced back to some simple hunter's cabin on the edge of forest and town.

But this wasn't some simple intruder. Some general thief. Those Izuku could have handled. He could have snarled and growled at and shown his fangs, danger, and gloved claws. Could have made himself known as a threat, even if he was heavy and swollen and everything hurt, because he had things to protect. But this was no typical thief. An ordinary thief didn't have a scent that made his knees weak, made his eyes tear up as he realized for the first time in six fucking months he could breathe, the bite mark on the side of his neck throbbing in the presence of the alpha that had left it. An ordinary thief wouldn't have stood at his entrance, eyes soft and smile genuine, arms reaching out to hold him. An average thief wouldn't say his name in such a way that sent his heart racing, making his child, their child, flip within his womb.