6

"Y/n? The Duke needs you in his office."

Y/n groaned, pulling the covers over her head. "Tell the Duke I'm not available," she mumbled into her pillow. "I'm busy nursing a headache."

Three days had passed since the Camden incident, and Y/n was still feeling the aftershocks. Her head throbbed with a dull ache, a constant reminder of her fall. But physical pain was the least of her worries. Wriothesley had been calling her into his office everyday now, usually more than once. In a way, it was kind of alarming. 

What could he possibly want now?

She sighed, rolling onto her back and staring at the ceiling. Her room was silent except for the soft hum of the surveillance cameras. She learned she could listen to them now and knew Wriothesley was probably watching her, his eyes scrutinizing her every move.

"Hey, Wriothesley," she called out suddenly. "Enjoying the view?"

She chuckled to herself, imagining his reaction. It was a small victory, but in these trying times, she'd take what she could get.

With a sigh, she pushed herself up and swung her legs over the side of the bed. As much as she wanted to wallow in self-pity, she had a job to do.

"Alright, Duke," she muttered under her breath as she stood up. "Let's see what you've got for me today." She straightened her shoulders and headed for the shower.

The warm water was a welcome relief, washing away the remnants of her troubled sleep. As she stood under the spray, she allowed herself a moment of vulnerability, letting the water cleanse not just her body but also her weary spirit.

Once she was done, she wrapped herself in a towel and walked over to the most reflective part of the metal wall. Mirrors were a luxury not afforded to them. She figured Wriothesley was probably worried she'd shatter it and use a shard as a weapon.

She made a mental note to pester him about getting a mirror. After all, a girl needs to see her reflection.

The woman staring back at her from the polished metal surface was almost unrecognizable. The toll of the past few days was evident in her features. She had arrived at the Fortress with dark circles under her eyes, but now they were more like deep-set shadows.

Maybe she didn't need a mirror after all.

She quickly got dressed, her movements mechanical and efficient. As she stepped out of her room, her mind began to race with thoughts and questions.

The walk to Wriothesley's office felt longer than usual. Each step seemed to echo her growing apprehension. 'What does he want now?' she wondered, her heart pounding in her chest.

Finally, she arrived at Wriothesley's office. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she raised her hand but before she could knock-

"Come in," came the familiar voice from inside.

Y/n jumped slightly at the sound of Wriothesley's voice, her hand still poised to knock. She shook her head. 'Of course he knew I was here,' she thought to herself.

Pushing the door open, she climbed the stairs and stepped into the office. "You know, one of these days you're going to scare me half to death with your impeccable timing," she joked, sitting down in a nearby chair.

Wriothesley looked up from his desk. "And rob myself of these delightful surprises? I think not."

Y/n rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. "Delightful surprises, huh? Is that what we're calling near heart attacks now?"

Wriothesley chuckled, leaning back in his chair. "Only when they involve you, Y/n."

"So what'd you need me for?"