Chapter 42 - Family Under Siege

Start from the beginning

Delilah stands and pulls Phoebe into a hug as she stands as well.

"I am just going to explain things to Hope and Faith and say goodbye," Phoebe whispers before she steps around Delilah and picks up Henrik from his stroller before heading into the spare room.

Faith and Hope raise their heads to see their mother when she walks in, closing the door softly behind her before she sits on the floor next to them, Henrik still in her arms.

"Munchkins, I need to tell you some things and I need you to listen, okay?" Phoebe says as she tucks a rebel strand of Hope's hair behind her ear.

They both nod at her and she looks at them for a moment more before giving them a sorrowful smile, "You two and Henrik are going to spend some time with your aunt Delilah and Uncle Ezra. They're going to keep you safe while I take care of some things. It's like a little adventure, okay?"

Hope furrows her brow, "But where are you going, Mommy?"

Phoebe bites her lip before responding, "I have to go stop some bad people who want to hurt us. But don't worry, I'll be back soon. And while I'm gone, Delilah and Ezra will make sure you're safe and have everything you need."

Hope and Faith exchange a worried look before Faith speaks up, "Can we come with you?"

Phoebe smiles sadly, "No, my babies. This is something mommy has to do alone. But I promise, I'll come back to you as soon as I can. But you can help me by being brave and strong, just like I know you both are. And just because I am not with you doesn't ever mean that you are alone."

Phoebe reaches into her pocket and pulls out identical necklaces before handing one to each of them as she speaks again, "If you ever feel alone or want to see me then all you have to do is hold onto this necklace and think of me. I'll always be with you, no matter where I am."

Hope and Faith nod, tears drip down their faces as they slip the necklaces around their necks and clutch onto the necklaces tightly. 

Phoebe pulls them both into a hug, kissing the tops of their heads as Henrik yawns and snuggles closer to Phoebe

Phoebe reaches down and wipes the tears from their small faces as she holds her back, "There is one thing that I need you two to do for me, okay? I need you to look out for your brother and each other while me and Daddy are gone. Protect each other and stay safe. Can you do that for me?"

Phoebe kisses them each on the forehead before standing up, Henrik still in her arms. "I have to go now. So be good for Delilah and Ezra."

Delilah pulls Phoebe into another hug as she leaves the room, whispering to her, "Stay safe. And alive."

Phoebe nods to her and Delilah gives her a small smile before slipping into the room where Faith and Hope are.

Phoebe moves to the front door where Ezra is already waiting.  Phoebe looks down at Henrik, his little face scrunched up in sleep.