"I'm good. Things go okay at home last night? I tried to call, but I couldn't get an answer."

    "Sorry, my phone died. Things were rough, actually, but it's nothing that can't be worked out. So you've been checking up on me, huh?"

    "Yeah, friends do that for each other occasionally, you know."

    It suddenly occurred to me that's exactly what I had right here—friends—real friends who cared about what was going on with me when I wasn't with them. It didn't revolve around a party, or getting my next fix, or what I could do for them.

    "Well, thanks for watching out for me. I'll ask my grandpa if you can come over tomorrow night if you like. We still need to have our video game competition."

    "Sounds great," he replied, opening the door to school. "You want to come hang with us too, Nikki?"

    "I don't know if I can. Cheer tryouts for next year start tomorrow." She glanced at Brittney. "Both of us will be busy the rest of the week."

    "Dang! I knew I should've kidnapped you when I had the chance," I whispered into her ear. "Now I'm hardly going to see you."

    "I promise I'll try to fit you in somewhere." She laughed.

    "You better," I replied, bending to kiss the top of her head. "Or I'll have to come hunt you down."

    As it turned out, my predictions for spending time together became entirely too true. I rarely saw Nikki over the rest of the week between my Grandpa working me to the bone to make up for my mistake and Nikki's demanding practice schedule. Our relationship was reduced to a few stolen kisses in the hallway between classes and late phone calls after mountains of homework to say goodnight to each other before the two of us collapsed into bed.

    I was looking forward to my community service hours on Saturday, just so I could be next to her, even if it was only stapling papers. I missed her. I wanted to take her out that night, but Grandpa had designated it as the evening Brett could come over, and I didn't want to give him the brush off again.

    But it didn't stop me from planning ahead. I'd found a sweet secluded place down by Silver Creek where the trees were big. Tall, green, natural grasses grew underneath them. It seemed like the perfect place to take Nikki for a picnic or something on a Sunday afternoon. My mind couldn't get over how nice it would be to lie on a blanket with her in the fresh, spring air.

    I smiled when I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, knowing it was Nikki calling to tell me goodnight. "Hey sexy," I answered.

    She laughed. "I hope you checked to make sure it was me before you replied."

    "Nah, I know lots of sexy people. Figured it had to be one of you," I teased.

    "Oh, so you have lots of girls calling you late at night. Is that what you're saying?"

    "No, I'm saying Brett is sexy too and needs to hear it once in a while."

    She snorted, and I chuckled. "That's such an attractive sound. Do it again."

    "Not a chance," she replied, and I could still hear the humor in her voice.

    "I wish I could see your face right now. We should download a video chat app," I suggested.

    "My cell isn't as fancy as yours, remember? Only the bare necessities for me."

    "Man, it's like you live in the dark ages, Nikki. How do you make it without playing video games on your phone? I'd probably go crazy on all my sports trips without something to do to pass the time."