"Why's that?" she asked sincerely.

    "Because I've never worked this hard to get a date before," I answered honestly.

    She sidled up close and placed her hand on my chest. "Well, you know what they say. The best things come to those who wait." She bit her bottom lip and traced down with her finger.

    My heart rate notched up a bit at her slight touch. "Is that what they say?"

    "It is." She nodded.

    "Well, then I guess I'll have to keep waiting."

    She laughed, moving away, and I was sorry to see her go.

    "So, where are we going now?" I asked.

    "To the theater."

    "Cool. What are we watching?" I could do a movie easily enough.

    "Today is the Silver Screen Sunday Classic. We're going to watch Gone with the Wind. It's four hours of complete heaven."

    I actually had to clench my teeth to keep the groan from escaping my mouth. "Sounds awesome," I said tightly, and she giggled even harder.

    "There you go, breaking that whole lying promise again."

    "I'm not lying—you and me, practically alone in a dark theater? That's right up my alley, I'd say."

    She halted in the middle of the hallway. "Oh. I didn't think about that."

    "I bet you didn't." I grinned, brushing past her. "But this was your idea so you can't back out now."

    We stepped outside into the bright sunshine.

    "Where's your car?" I asked, looking around for the red convertible VW bug she drove. 

    "I don't have it. My mom dropped me off today so I could ride with you later."

    "Good thinking." I walked over to the passenger side of my truck and opened the door.

    "Thanks," she replied softly, suddenly seeming kind of shy.

    "You're welcome," I answered, closing it once she was settled in.

    She didn't speak while I drove, but it didn't feel uncomfortable, so I didn't try to break the silence. We soon had our tickets and were seated in the middle of the empty theater.

    "Wow. I was kidding when I said it would be mostly empty." I handed her the popcorn.

    "Sometimes I'm the only one here, but there are days when several others show up. I guess it depends on what mood people are in."

    "How often do they do this?" I asked.

    "Only once a month. But I try to come every time. My grandma was the one who got me hooked on these old movies. She used to bring me when I was younger."

    "So in a way, this is your tribute to her."

    "Exactly." She smiled. 

    "Well, I'm glad you invited me then."

    "Me too. Have you ever seen this movie before?"

    "Can't say I have. I'm more of an action-packed kind of guy."

    "Give it a chance. Let it speak to you. They don't make movies like this anymore."

    "I'll do my best," I replied. I was pretty sure I was set for four hours of agony. I was already bored waiting for the opening credits to finish, but the picture finally started rolling, and the lead actress filled up the screen in her big white dress.