"Called me this morning and told me where to meet her." I glanced at my cell phone again. "And I'm going to be late if this line doesn't get going any faster. What are you two up to?" I said, trying to redirect the conversation.

    "Out collecting the breakfast of champions." Brett gestured to the doughnuts.

    "It's kind of a Sunday ritual with our family. Our parents started it before we were born," Brittney added.

    "That's cool," I replied, happy to see it was my turn to check out. I did so quickly, grabbing the flowers and tossing a goodbye over my shoulder to the other two as I headed for the door.

    "Have fun!" Brittney called after me.

    "Absolutely."

    I arrived at the location with one minute to spare. However, I was a little confused since I found myself sitting in the parking lot of a nursing home.

    I checked her text again.

     1225 E. Hillside Ave. 

    No, I was in the right place—she must've given me the wrong address. 

    I sent a message to Nikki. Umm . . . sitting in the parking lot of a rest home. Think U gave me the wrong address.

    My phone buzzed. No. UR in the right place. Meet me in room 120. 

    This was an awfully strange place for a first date. 

    What the heck was she doing? 

    I stared at the text for a moment longer before I shook my head, wondering what I was getting into. I grabbed the vase of flowers and went inside.

    "Can I help you?" a young man wearing a pair of scrubs asked when I walked into the large lobby.

    "I'm meeting someone in room one twenty."

    "Down the hall to your left." He pointed.

    "Thanks." I went in the direction he'd indicated, passing several open doors along the way. There were a lot of people living here. I found the room number with the name Mildred Wagner etched into a little bronze plate underneath.

    "Hello?" I called, knocking on the slightly ajar door.

    "Come in, Chase," Nikki's voice replied.

    I entered and found her curled up in a chair next to a bed that held a tiny, frail looking, elderly woman.

    "Oh! You brought flowers!" Nikki exclaimed, getting up to come over.

    "I told you I would." I smiled a little uncomfortably, still not sure why she was having me meet her here.

    She took the vase. "Look, Grandma. Chase brought you flowers! Wasn't that sweet?"

    I sighed and smiled, determined to play along with whatever she had going on.

    "Chase, this is my Grandma Wagner. She's my dad's mom. He used to come and visit her every Sunday before he died. I've tried to keep up the tradition since he passed on. Grandma had a bad stroke several years ago and lost some of her motor and speech skills, so she's unable to take care of herself."

    "Nice to meet you, Mrs. Wagner," I said, nodding toward the lady.

    She gave me a half smile and slightly raised her trembling arm.

    "She wants to shake your hand," Nikki said, placing the flowers on the bedside stand and sitting back down.

    I walked over and took Mrs. Wagner's small hand in mine, giving it a slight squeeze. I was surprised by the strength with which she responded and continued her grasp, not letting go.