fifteen

KASHYYYK

Diane and Cal had finally met the Wookiee Chieftain Tarfful. After much discussion, Mari told them about an Origin Tree and how Cordova had "found wisdom" from the top of the tree. Cal was hesitant since the tree was massive. In fact, it was so big that it reached above the clouds. But the fighter said that there was a system through the roots that would allow them to reach the top. While he was contemplating, Diane was panicking.

Most of the root system was underwater.

Cal had given her a quick lesson earlier but he hadn't mentioned swimming underneath the waters. Besides, Mari only had one breather and Diane wasn't even sure if she was capable of holding her breath that long. Though she was an angel, she still had a mortal vessel. And she was still new to this dynamic so she had no idea what she was and wasn't capable of. She didn't know her limits.

Cal could see the worry apparent on her face.

"Relax angel, I'll help you."

But Diane did not relax.

She didn't think she could ever relax.

If she wasn't worried about Cal and BD, she was worried about Heaven. If she wasn't worried about Heaven and its angels, she was worried about herself. It was an endless, ruthless cycle.

When she was in Heaven, Diane didn't think too much. But now, her mind was overloaded. This...feeling, was something the angel had never experienced before yet, it felt so familiar to her. Diane hadn't thought too much about that dream she had about her and Daniel. But there was this nagging pull within the depths of her grace that kept trying to tell her something.

"Diane?"

The angel looked up to see Cal staring at her. What for? She couldn't tell you, but she was sure that he was scanning to see if he could read her mind (as if a mortal could).

"Let's go," she said, softly.

They trekked down the muddy slope and the angel stopped to glance down at the murky waters below. Cal kept having to push her onward because, for some reason, her legs weren't allowing her to continue forward.

"You're just nervous," he told her.

"I don't get nervous."

"Right, because you're an angel."

"Yes."

They didn't speak for a while after that.

Diane dipped the front of her boot in the water as Cal took out the breather Mari gave him.

"Ok. New plan."

She looked at him sharply.

"What do you mean 'New plan'?"

"Look, we're sort of on a time budget so for right now we need to put a hold on the swimming lessons. I say, as soon as I get to the other side I'll pray to you and you come to me. Deal?"

Diane bit her tongue. It was indeed, a good plan.

She nodded.

Cal put on the breather and jumped, along with BD-1 who was crouched on his back.

Then, they were gone.

⸻╳⸻

When Cal did pray, Diane found him outside on some sort of wooden circular platform. A few had railings and covers while others were bare, allowing anything, anyone to see. There were a few fallen troopers scattered around him. (She couldn't see their souls anymore.) So she focused on his instead. BD-1 greeted her by transferring himself from Cal's shoulder to hers.